Advice on removing the outer part of a bearing from a race

Old 06-04-20, 04:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on removing the outer part of a bearing from a race

I have a knack for causing my own problems. we have this 'wind vane' gadget we bought at a flower show.

I've replaced the bearings a few times over the years.

This last time, I was pushing the bearing out and (my mistake) not using something with the diameter to push on the outer ring of the bearing. The inner ring, balls, etc came out. And now i have that outer ring stuck in there. I tried prying it out / getting under it from the back but there's not enough room.

I guess I need a gadget that expands a bit to grab the inner surface and then pull that out?

Do you know what that looks like / is called?

The picture is a new bearing and my hand (to give size perspective) and the race with the outer part of the old bearing stuck in there.

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-20, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 492 Votes on 451 Posts
What's the diameter of the remaining portion of the bearing? My guess is you might beat the crap out of that thing trying to get it out. It might be better to cut the ring in half with a hacksaw... while being careful not to cut too deep. The kind that is just a blade sticking out the front and a little handle. Hope you know the one I mean.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 06-04-20, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Hammer and chisel. Put chisel point in race and tap all around.

Old 06-05-20, 04:00 AM
B
Received 63 Votes on 56 Posts
I would file a 3 notches, 120 degrees apart, at the small end of the bearing bore. The notches would be deep enough to expose the outer race width. Place hub of wheel on something solid. Using a drift, tap the outer race at the three notches evenly and repeatedly. The race will come out.

Old 06-05-20, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
That appears to be a fairly delicate assembly that might not respond well to rough handling.
Slow and easy with a Dremmel tool to grind the race and remove the pieces.would prevent damage.

Old 06-05-20, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I'd use a hammer and punch, nail or any other piece of steel you can get in there. Tap on one edge of the bearing race then move over 30-40° and tap again and keep repeating all the way around the race. If you only pound on one side of the race it will **** (get crooked) and wedge itself in place. If you work carefully around the circumference you can slowly get it to move out.

Old 06-05-20, 10:10 AM
Received 276 Votes on 257 Posts
First thing I would do is using a map gas torch, heat the outer dia of the wheel to warm it up and see if it expands enough to pry the race out. If that doesn't work then go to the destructive options!

Old 06-07-20, 10:35 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wound up using the $25 dremel set to first try the cut off wheels / grinders on the outer race, but that was too tight quarters / hard metal. Wound up cutting into the back of the cup to be able to push the race out.

THANKS EVERYONE!!