How to cut metal (washing machine)

Old 03-21-21, 06:45 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to cut metal (washing machine)

Hi folks, looking to see if you have any recommendations to cut metal. I searched on here and thereís a few conversations about it, but they donít seem to be about the same metal that Iím trying to cut. I need to cut the metal shell of a clothes washing machine (the top loader kind, not front loader kind). Not sure what type of metal that is (steel?), or what thickness, but itís got a little thickness to it as opposed to an aluminum downspout which is a lot thinner. I have a table saw, chop saw, grinder, jigsaw, and circular saw. Iím assuming the circular saw or grinder might be my best bet. (For a little better description, the ďshellĒ that Iím referring to is if you were to look at the washer, itís one piece of sheet metal that goes from the left side, to the front, to the right side....poorly pictured below haha.)

thanks!

Last edited by John Palatzo; 03-21-21 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 660 Upvotes on 560 Posts
It will all depend on what you are trying to do. A grinder or circular saw with a metal cutting blade would work but might not be the cleanest cut. Tin snips would likely work as well but might not be the straightest.

Old 03-21-21, 07:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
IMO tin ships would be difficult. The few times I've cut up an appliance to use the steel for something else I either used a fiber blade in a skilsaw or a grinder.

Old 03-21-21, 07:37 AM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
No different than cutting auto sheet metal, an angle grinder, air or electric, with a 4-6" metal cut off wheel!

Old 03-21-21, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 660 Upvotes on 560 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of fiber blades now that there are better options out there. Fiber blades can break and wear down quickly when cutting sheet metal.

Here are some examples of better options:

Grinder:
https://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Tools-1...40500870&psc=1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Circular saw:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-7...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Metal-C...04&s=hi&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Tools-1...25&s=hi&sr=1-6

Old 03-21-21, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
From the tools you mentioned you could use the jigsaw, circular saw or angle grinder with the proper blades.

Old 03-21-21, 07:47 PM
J
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, really appreciate it. If you want to know a little background, I was trying to use the washing machine metal as a cover for a generator. I recently picked up my first used generator, so Iím still getting used to it. Then I realized the times we lose power are typically the times when the weather is crappy, so I started researching generator covers and boxes. The pictures below are the metal piece of a washer fitting right over the generator. Unfortunately itís a very tight fit. I figured if I got a few of them, I could cut them to be a little bigger (kind of like a teepee or a tent). I wasnít sure about using wood to make a cover because I wasnít sure if there was a possible hazard of the wood catching on fire.

Old 03-22-21, 03:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I'd want more air space above the generator. Is there a vent on the backside or is it open?

Old 03-22-21, 09:10 AM
J
The other side is exactly the same as the side that you see in the picture. Yes, I agree, doesnít leave much room for ventilation on the top. Thatís kind of why I was looking to get multiple of these metal pieces so I can open it up a little.

Old 03-22-21, 09:44 AM
Received 299 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Attach some angle iron legs to the sides and raise it up as much as you need.

Old 03-22-21, 10:10 AM
J
Attach some angle iron legs to the sides and raise it up as much as you need.
Thanks, I guess Iím a little concerned about wind-swept rain coming in the bottom, so Iím trying to make the protection reach the ground.

btw, does anyone know how to reply to someoneís post? I thought there used to be a ďquoteĒ button at the bottom of other peopleís posts.

Old 03-22-21, 10:33 AM
Received 299 Upvotes on 255 Posts
I think windswept rain that close to the ground is overthinking the issue.

how to reply to someoneís post?
Your reply looks appropriate. There is a Reply button at the top of the thread and a Post Quick Reply button at the bottom. The Reply button takes you to a separate page to write it and add attachments, etc. There is a Go Advanced button in the Quick Reply area if you decide to add attachments after you have started writing.

In Reply and Go Advanced you have the advantage of a Preview Post button that is not in Quick reply. In Preview Post you can see exactly how your reply will post including any photos, attachments, etc.

For Quotes you copy what you want to quote and use the quotation marks at the top of the field to insert it as you apparently did.

Old 03-22-21, 02:44 PM
H
Received 275 Upvotes on 235 Posts
I'd snip the reinforcing "edge" at the very top and bend a "peaked roof" into the top panel. Probably fold over the snipped edges as triangles and then screw them together for a little reinforcement.

I did something similar with a borrowed generator, but found that it was much easier to scrounge up a plastic dog kennel that was missing the metal grill. Using the plastic bottom turned out to be a good trick, it made it VERY easy to slide the generator over the snow.

Old 03-22-21, 03:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gen set running in a normal rainstorm won't destroy it. A cover isn't a horrible idea, but don't worry about needing it to be completely weatherproof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: