Drain plug problem

Old 03-22-21, 09:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
Drain plug problem

I've got a drain plug that is giving me fits. Its an ordinary 3/4" npt magnetic drain plug, with a square female fitting. And its so tight that the side of the female fitting has busted off, making it impossible to remove with a 1/2" square socket adapter, since it now only has 3 sides and is now even more difficult to remove.

Ordinarily I would ask my dad to weld a nut onto it, and then use a regular socket on it. Problem is, dad is getting old and no longer can do this sort of thing. Last time I tried to have him weld up a steel hinge onto a door he just kept burning holes in the steel. So I really don't even want to ask him for fear he might burn a hole in this gear tank.

I guess my next thought was, would jb weld work for this? Would it have enough holding power, once cured, to hold the nut onto the plug so that I could break it loose? Or would it just not be able to hold that much torque? Any thoughts?

This is on my skid loader and I really don't want to take it anywhere to have it worked on if I don't have to.... its parked in the garage and I'd like to do it myself, if possible.

I also thought I might stick a short 1/2" adapter into the female plug with jb weld all around it. That might be better than a nut.

Old 03-22-21, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Unfortunately..... I don't think JB Weld has that kind of strength.

Old 03-22-21, 10:12 PM
Group Moderator
Since I would be squishing the male socket extension into the jb weld that I put into the female plug, I guess my thought was that it just needs to hold it tightly against the 3 good sides.

Maybe I just need to drill it out with a 1/4" or 3/8" bit and then use a nipple extractor (big easy out).

Or maybe I need to try using dad's welder myself and weld a bolt into it.

Old 03-23-21, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Can you get a replacement plug?

Getting a weld that will hold isn't overly difficult although you might want to practice on some scrap first.

Didn't you do some welding on your loader's body extension??

Old 03-23-21, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
No, I had a buddy come and do that. Yes, already have the replacement plugs.

Old 03-23-21, 06:37 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Maybe I just need to drill it out with a 1/4" or 3/8" bit and then use a nipple extractor (big easy out).
This is what I would do. I've used JB Weld for various tasks and have generally been satisfied with the results, but you have to recognize its' limitations, and I would not expect it to do hold up for this particular task. And you could try welding something to it yourself if you wanted, but the problem is that whoever does it is going to be upside down, in tight quarters I imagine, and if it doesn't do the trick now you have weld to contend with if you did end up needing to drill it. So probably not all that easy to get to, but I'd skip the welding and go to drilling it. Just go easy with the extractor, and if it doesn't look like it's going to work you can always step your bits up to where you need to be to peel it out with a small chisel. Extractors have their limitations too, and a broken one can turn it into a real chore.

Old 03-26-21, 11:40 PM
Group Moderator
End of the work week... I had some time to work on this again... decided to give up on the jb weld idea and the weld a bolt onto the drain plug idea and just drilled it out. I figured drilling it out would be better since if I tried to weld and failed, the welding rod would make it really hard to drill out. First I eyeballed it and drilled a 5/32 hole in the center and then knocked the old magnet off the back with a nail punch. Then used my 7/8" step bit to plunge straight through the old oil plug and 1/2" thick body. It helped that oil was trying to drain out as I drilled... it was self lubricating that way!

Then took a small chisel (like you said aka pedro) and peeled what was left out. I must have hit the center pretty well because the old threads just needed a little cleaning up once I peeled the old part out, which was like collapsing a thin ring.

Glad that is done... now I just need to rinse the tanks with diesel fuel (per the operators manual) before refilling them with oil. (Cleans the sediment out of the bottom of the pan) Dad has a bucket (recirculating) pump that should work good for that... will just let it circulate for 30 min or so. I swear the old oil was so nasty. Wonder how many years its been in there.

Old 03-27-21, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Diesel fuel works well for cleaning out nasty crankcases. I've also used mineral spirits and kerosene. On an old neglected engine I'll add a half a quart or so about 5 minutes before an oil change and let it circulate while running.

If the pan has a good bit of sludge it might be better to remove and clean it.

Old 03-27-21, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Fortunately this is just a gear case, (no combustion) so it seems pretty clean. I think the nasty color of the oil is from 40 years of dust and rust since it probably gets a little condensation in it via the breather. (Gramps wasn't big on maintenence) But I do want to rinse out the metal filings from drilling out the old plug.

Removing it isn't possible. If I completely dismantled the entire skid loader to get it out, (including all the wheel axles) it would probably be the 2nd to last thing to come out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: