Remove Scratches from polished Metal Walls?

Old 04-08-21, 12:19 PM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Remove Scratches from polished Metal Walls?

Hello Community!,

I have metal paneling on my wall that got scratches from wiping with abrasive material (accident). The white stuff looks like parts of a "skin" when it gets rubbed on concrete to put it in perspective. Is this repairable without having to replace the paneling. I have this on long walls so the price will not be cheap if I replace them.

Thanks!

Pictures of wall Attached.

Old 04-08-21, 12:37 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
They are probably more noticeable to you than others. You might try a little bit of tooth paste and see if it might rub out the contrast. They do make a paint with type of finish but I would only do that as a last resort.

Old 04-08-21, 02:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
There is not much you can do. If it were a polished stainless steel, brass or copper yes, but you have galvanized steel. You see the crystallization pattern in the zinc. There is no way to polish out scratches without risking polishing off the zinc coating or leaving a even more visible buffing/sanding mark. Just consider the marks "patina" and go on with life.

Old 04-08-21, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
They don't really look like scratches. Rub it with some paint thinner and a cloth and see if the appearance changes.

Old 04-08-21, 03:51 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
my wall that got scratches from wiping with abrasive material
So what was the material used? That will help a lot to understand what you have!

The first question is, do the panels have some type of coating on them to keep them from oxidizing (rust) that is important to figure out since you need to know if the repair is to the coating or to the metal!

If it's un-coated metal it would be an easier fix, just like the finish on a car you buff it out with an abrasive paste, getting to finer and finer materials.

Old 04-09-21, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
He is using galvanized steel. The galvanizing is the protective coating. That's the crystalline look on the surface. It looks like the same stock used to form HVAC rigid ducts or possibly a galvanized flashing material.

Old 04-09-21, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Is it concrete splatter? If so, scrubbing it with muriatic acid/water will remove it but you need to wear gloves, goggles, boots, rain gear.

Old 04-09-21, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
As said, the wall panels appear to be repurposed galvanized sheet metal.
The galvanizing process makes the surface highly resistant to water but acid is what is used to remove the galvanized finish prior to soldering..

The finish has been altered and can not be restored.
To make it less noticeable you could try a cleaning product that leaves a residue like ArmorAll for vinyl or even baby oil.

Old 04-10-21, 05:16 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Don't put any acid or strong alkali (including vinegar, orange juice or oven cleaner) on the surface. You will make the situation worse.

Toothpaste is safe. It is very mildly alkaline and is very mildly abrasive. But don't brush it very hard or repeatedly.

Galvanized metal is not intended to be a decorative surface when left bare. It needs to be dried off well after cleaning. It develops (usually whitish) water spots easily, which are a form of oxidation or corrosion to be exact.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-10-21 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-10-21, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
That might be trading one problem for another then. Still wonder what it even is.

Old 09-29-21, 05:19 PM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all!

So ye they are coated and galvanized. I tried to remove the oxide and below it was the black and dark steal. The galvanized part doesn't look salvageable with a little bit of paint it's going to be lots of little bits of paint to do little bits of of the metal. I might have to just replace them. Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: