Snap On YA205 Wire Welder problem

Old 09-13-21, 10:24 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snap On YA205 Wire Welder problem

Hi, I have a problem that is getting worse with my Snap On welder. It is made by Century. I love this welder, because it does everything I ask of it. Lately, like the last year, it has been sticking in the " On " position. Like if I would pull the trigger on the gun, the loud hum will continue, even if I release the trigger. Some times when I turn the power switch on, it will do the same thing. Is there a contactor of some sort that is NOT releasing ? It takes re arching to stop it, or just to turn it off and turning the machine back on. Sometimes it will do it over and over and get real frustrating. Other times it will do it and them not for a day or so. It sounds like something it sticking and won't release, but it is in the " weld " mode, if that makes sense. I don't know if the internal workings of a welder, but it something that is sticking or hanging up inside the machine.

Old 09-13-21, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have a meter and know how to use it ?
I can forward you the schematic but it will require making checks on the board.

Old 09-13-21, 12:14 PM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
Sounds like the gun itself is bad, there are internal switches but like everything else they wear out!

Old 09-13-21, 12:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
I first suspect the switch in the gun sticking.

Old 09-20-21, 10:20 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, but when I press the switch the wire comes out and it seems to work well in the regard.

Old 09-20-21, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
The diagram is the control board. The two pins with red arrows are the trigger connection. You could monitor those with a voltmeter when the system is on or connect an ohmmeter with the system unplugged to check for shorts. A short on those two pins is what activates the switching contactor.

The pdf below is the schematic.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
welder.pdf (97.3 KB, 46 views)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: