cast iron cylinder repair

Old 05-31-22, 06:31 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cast iron cylinder repair

I have a 72 cast iron mazda block that has a corrosion pit in one of the cylinders from years of water in it. Can I possible use a high temp muggy rod to fill this pit or maybe silver solder or even a MIG bead? Fill it and grind it down and then finish hone it? All the other cylinders are perfect. Dont really want to sleeve it as that is out of my budget.

Old 06-01-22, 06:37 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 22 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Welding on cast iron is tricky: you'll need filler metal that's metallurgically compatible with the block. That means solder is out, and MIG is a question mark. Localized heating and cooling can cause cast iron to crack, so preheating and a long slow cool-down are mandatory. If you attempt this i recommend practicing on similar cast iron.

Old 06-01-22, 06:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I have never seen nor heard of anyone successfully welding a cylinder bore. There are ways to repair cracks but I've only seen it done on engines with cylinder sleeves. You can always try but doing anything to cast iron is difficult and that's one of the most difficult locations so I wouldn't invest much money in the attempt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: