Are Metal Countertops A Fire Hazard Due To Sun?

Old 12-19-22, 10:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are Metal Countertops A Fire Hazard Due To Sun?

I'm considering the possibility of metal countertops on my boat, and currently musing about a nice easy pilot project where I glue down copper tiles (maybe 3x6") over the existing laminate on the little bar in the corner. The bar in question is small, with surface area not much bigger than an end table.

I haven't decided yet if this would actually look good, but it's a no-brainer in terms of the cutting and skill involved. My only concern is that the metal surface might get hot in the sun, possibly leading to a fire. The salon area has wall-to-wall windows on every side.

The tiles would be 16 gauge mill finish copper from Etsy, not the imitation vinyl type. And in case you're wondering, I wouldn't repeat this for my galley counter. For that I'm considering stainless steel, cut to spec by a local shop.

Old 12-19-22, 10:50 AM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
My only concern is that the metal surface might get hot in the sun, possibly leading to a fire.
So every car, truck, bus, and bus, every building, shed, house built should be avoided because it's now a potential fire hazard just because it has metal exposed to the sun?

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 12-19-22, 11:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I would not worry about the tiles, already behind glass or plexi windows, especially on a boat. The window will distort and absorb some of the sunlight. What's left will be moved around by the boat's motion. I've never seen fire hazards created with everyday mirrors and mirrored coffee tables. They can be annoying when the sun is shining in your eyes but it's far from igniting anything let alone get hot enough to distort or melt plastics.

---
On a personal note I wouldn't do tiles. I'd cover the counter with copper sheet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: