Steel plate question

Old 01-26-24, 05:31 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Steel plate question

I have a wood burner with a catalytic combustor that has failed. We never use the combustor because it makes the room too hot. I was thinking about removing the combustor and putting a 6” A36 steel disc, 1/2” thick, in its place. The reason is, with the damper closed, I can still get a backdraft down the chimney when the stove is not in use, that gives me an ash smell on the room.

My question is, would that disc be able to take the heat and if so, will the disc distort? I wouldn’t want it to get jammed in the combustor hole in case I ever want to remove it. There is a temp gauge in that area, and it never reaches 500 degrees, but the disc is a bit closer to the heat.

Old 01-27-24, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
What you are asking about is a fairly serious modification to a design I presume has been proven by the manufacturer.
Not sure if anyone could offer suggestions that you could be sure was safe.
Where I am wood burning appliances and their installation are quite difficult to insure.
So for you if you have any concerns about being insured against loss by fire, modifying your wood burner could seriously affect your coverage.
This is just my experience......yours may be different.

Old 01-27-24, 12:49 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Based on this response, I’m thinking that I needed to be mode descriptive.

My wood burner has a clear path to the chimney. It also has a bypass damper that is typically closed. Opening the bypass damper blocks off the route directly to the chimney, and then routes the heat and smoke through the combustor. This is only done if/when the fire box gets to 500 or above if you want to enable the combustor, you never have to do it if you do t want to.

On a standard burn, this combustor can’t and doesn’t vent any products of combustion out of the chimney. This block off disc that I’m referring to would replace the unused combustor. The main reason for wanting to do this is because of summer. I can get a draft down the chimney that puts an ash or creosote smell in the house, and yes I clean my chimney. I typically open the bypass damper all summer to redirect the draft, but I can never completely close off the airflow because the combustor lets air through it. This is why I’d like to block it.

Old 02-01-24, 06:31 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As stated above, we don't know what your chimney set up looks like, so can't comment on the modifications...but the steel plate/disk you talk about will be fine with the heat. 1/2" thick? Yeah, no issue. The plate will be fine... don't worry about the plate.

But you should definitely look over your modifications to decide if its safe 🙂

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: