air in the tank

Old 01-31-04, 01:58 PM
jordananne
Visiting Guest
Unhappy air in the tank

Hi,
The insides of my toilet basically crumbled last night so I got a kit to replace all the insides. Everything went in fine but now when the toilet is flushed and refills there are air bubbles that come out of the bottom of the ball**** and no water comes out of the refill tube. The tank refills but it takes about ten minutes to do so.
Any suggestions of what went wrong?
Thanks for your help!
Jordan

Old 01-31-04, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

What brand of fill valve did you install?

Old 01-31-04, 05:47 PM
jordananne
Visiting Guest
I decided to give up on the first style I bought (I think there must have been a crack in it or something) and I went to the plumbing supply store and got a Fluidmaster Fill Valve and Flapper. It's working great except I feel like the toilet is filling much slower then it used to. Seems to take almost 10 minutes which was not the case before. Any reason you can think of for this?

Old 01-31-04, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dirt in the valve that feeds your toilet.

Old 02-01-04, 12:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Or it may be debris in the bottom of the Fluidmaster.
Turn the water volume down but not completely off with the shutoff valve, and very carefully turn the Fluidmaster to partially loosen it to allow the debris to flush away without fully removing it.
If you remove it all the way, of course, it will shoot a geyser.
Good Luck!

Old 02-02-04, 11:20 AM
jordananne
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your help!!
When I installed the Fluidmaster I flushed it out so I don't think that there is any debris in it. I will try it again though. If there is dirt in the valve that feeds the toilet how do you recommend fixing that? The refill tube definetly fills the toilet slower then usual. It's a pretty slow stream compared to the fast spray that used to come out.
Thanks again.

Old 02-02-04, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Disconnect toilet supply line from fill valve.

Then direct supply line into bucket, then turn valve on and off numerous times. If there is grit in the valve it will eventually break free.

If not, shut main water supply off and either replace shutoff to toilet or remove packing nut and remove stem to clean and reinstall using plumber's grease on all moving parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: