Shallow well water pump

Old 02-01-04, 06:10 PM
Andy
Visiting Guest
Shallow well water pump

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of using a jet pump or a centrifugal water pump on a shallow water well (15' deep)? I've always used a centifugal pump with good results but my father-in-law's jet pump has gone bad and I was wondering if there is any reason to stay with the jet pump.

Old 02-01-04, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Ron (Pumpman) Peeks is the resident wells-and-pumps expert, and you can visit his site at www.peekspump.com for more information until he comes along.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 02-02-04 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-01-04, 08:34 PM
tinsmith
Visiting Guest
andy

hello, centrifugal pumps are designed for transfering water, irrigating lawn sprinkling and create higher volumes
but also lower pressure then jet pumps with a nozzle and venturi. for example a My*rs .5 h.p centrifugal pump will pump a max of 80' head or 34.5 psi with 0 suction lift and the equal .5 h.p jet pump would pump 150 head or 65 psi with 0 suction lift. so depending on your father-in-law's circumstances when you buy a new pump, let them size it for you. there is no sense have more pump than you need and ending up filling the pressure tank back up in 10 seconds.

Old 02-02-04, 08:39 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shallow well water pump

As Tinsmith stated, the jet pump is fitted with a nozzle/venturi (ejector) that assists in the pump's ability to lift water. The deeper the water level, the more inportant the ejector becomes.
A pump should be sized according to required use, and the pressure tank should be sized accordingly.
The most common problem with using a straight centrifugal pump for well service, again as Tinsmith alluded to, is that the cent. pump tends to pump much more water than the jet, meaning it usually doesn't run long enough for the motor windings to cool off.
This can shorten pump life dramatically.
If the well is close enough to the house and pressure isn't an issue, the cent. pump will get the job done. When there is some distance between well and house, and/or elevation difference, the jet pump's ability to pump at a much higher head will make it the pump of choice.
Pumpman

Old 02-02-04, 07:20 PM
Andy
Visiting Guest
Shallow Well Pump

Thanks for the replies. My experience with centrifugal pumps has been with wells that are right next to the house at 14-15 feet deep. I'll stay with the jet pump for this application since my father-in-law has been happy with past performance. Since all I ever had experience with was the centrifugal pump I thought it was the way to go but after checking on-line stores and local suppiers it appers the jet pump is the favorite for this type of application. Thanks for expanding my horizons.

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: