Pressure pump trouble

Old 02-08-04, 04:20 PM
rick31797
Visiting Guest
Pressure pump trouble

Hi everybody..

I have a drilled well and had to replace my pressure pump that is in the basement.
It worked good for awhile and now it will cut in and off every 15 to 20 sec.
I checked to see if the tank was water log, but it was fine...
I think the pressure gauge is not working right ...its stays around 45 lbs even when the water is running..
Could a pressure gauge cause a pump to kick on and off...and my second question is, would this not be hard on the pump doing this..

Thanks Rick

Old 02-08-04, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

A number of things can cause a pump to kick on and off like that, and no, it isn't good for the pump.
How did you check the tank? Tire pressure gauge?
The proper way to check a bladder tank is to turn off the pump, drain the water pressure completely down, and then check the tank pressure. It should be two psi below the pump cut-on pressure. It should be at the pump cut-off pressure when the pump builds up to cut-off, of course.
The pressure switch controls the pump, not a pressure gauge. Your gauge is probably clogged with rust or debris. You may be able to take it off and clean it out, or you can replace it.
Let us know about the tank.
Mike

Old 02-08-04, 07:34 PM
rick31797
Visiting Guest
hi

The Tank is very old the pump is new..I am not even sure the tank has a bladder.
It use to get water log in the past, about 2 times a year so i would shut the pump off and turn the water off.
I opened the Valve at the BTM and attached a Hose..then i pumped air into it to get all the water out of the tank.

I really think the pressure gauge is no good...I think i will rplace it first...hate doing things like this in the winter...all i can think of is the pump losing its prime and having to dig up the well.

To change the pressure gauge , how do i do that without getting soaked...

Rick

Old 02-08-04, 08:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Rick,
You can't change a pressure gauge without turning off the pump and relieving the water pressure, or you'll get soaked. Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the gauge clockwise only as the open end faces you before installing it.
You don't have to dig up a well to prime a pump. Check the recent post "Point Well?" here on this forum. I have "how-to-prime-a-pump" info there.
If I were you, I'd change out that old pressure tank to a new one with an adjustable-pressure bladder.
For now, you may be able to solve your problem by just making sure that the old tank isn't water logged.
For excellent tutorials on wells-and-pumps, visit Ron (Pumpman) Peeks site at www.peekspump.com and another at www.jessstryker.com .
Good luck!
Mike

Old 02-13-04, 03:22 PM
rick31797
Visiting Guest
update

The last time i posted i had a Pump problem, with it kicking on and off, every 20 sec or so//
Today I put in a new 14 gal pressure tank, and new pressure gauge and everything is great.
The old tank was to my surprise was water logged and also, one thing i was not doing, when i took the water out was to add some air to the tank.I hope the new tank will not get water logged, like the old one did...they are not suppose to.

I also used 3/4 lines coming out of the Pump and then it goes into a 1/2 copper pipe.The main water shut off for the house, i used a 3/4 ball type shut off instead of the standard tap type because the ball type have less restriction and should give me a bit more pressure , out of the tap.
The pump now runs the way it should and we also got a bit more pressure out of it...from 43 lbs to 50 lbs now..so everything is good for now..

Thanks for all your help Mike..

Rick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: