Well Pressure Switch

Old 02-12-04, 02:34 PM
moparious
Visiting Guest
Well Pressure Switch

My roomate and I are having an arguement about pressure switches. He says that when there is no pressure the pump will come on. I say that when the pressure drops below 10psi it will shut off to protect the well pump. The switch is a Square D 9013 FSG2 3/8". Who is correct. He has replaced the switch 5 itmes over the uears blaming the switch. I say the well is running dry. PS any diagnosis should be done with no money as he believes he is correct in saying that the switches are all bad and is very stubborn. I reccomend a low level cutoff and high level cuton switch for the well myself.

David Jordan

Old 02-12-04, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I'm not an expert on pressure switches, but normally, a pressure switch simply responds to the pressure of the pressure tank as the water usage fluctuates.
(The pressure tank should be set at two psi below the pump cut-on pressure.)
The normal residential pump cut-on/cut-off pressure is 20 psi apart, i.e. 20-40, 30-50, etc.
When the pressure falls below the cut-on pressure, the switch will turn on the pump and it will run continuously (or intermittantly) until it re-builds the water pressure to cut-off, if it can.
If the pump overheats, it should cut itself off.
This is "normal" operation.
If a well is "dry" or too low, if there is a leak on the suction side of the pump, if there is a leak in the pressure tank bladder, etc., the switch will cause the pump to cut on.
There are far more things that can be wrong in a well-and-pump system than just the pressure switch.
You need a professional wells-and-pump person to inspect the system in order correct your problem.
Two great tutorial websites on the subject are at www.peekspump.com and www.jessstryker.com for more information.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-12-04, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
David:

I hope you put a wager on the question.

Yes, there definately is a pressure switch as you describe.

The model for Square D would include M4 in the FSG switch style.
If yours is that type there will be a lever switch on the side that says AUTO - START - OFF.
If the pressure were to drop below 10# the switch would shut the pump off. You must then hold the lever in the start position 'till the pressure builds above 10# or so to keep it running.

If yours isn't the M4 variant and doesn't have a lever, then the switch is broken.

What type of well is it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: