well booster pump?

Old 02-22-04, 10:33 AM
artbuc
Visiting Guest
well booster pump?

My well has a submersible pump with a 30/50 psi control. I would like to boost pressure up to at least 50-60psi but my pump doesn't have enough horsepower.

What is the best way to boost pressure? I could add another pump/air tank system in series with the old system but the new pump will cavitate if the well pump can't supply the peak demand when the new pump was trying to fill the new tank. This problem could be avoided by carefully sizing the new pump. I could add a new pump without an air tank controlled either by a pressure or flow switch. However, the new pump would be cutting on/off so much it would likely burn-up.

I'm sure there must be an easy way to boost my current well pump pressure?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-04, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What would an increase of 10 pounds make any difference?

Sorry for the question, but there is good reason for the question.

Describe your reasoning for your increase....that way the answer directly answers the question.

Old 02-22-04, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
Question More info please???

I agree.

Is it more volume and pressure at the taps?

Also what make and model is your current submersible?

Old 02-22-04, 01:32 PM
What did I miss? I had a 1/2 hp submersible one time had to get it to 60on 80off lb to get the water up a hill to the sprinklers and it did ok ? I think like the rest asked here WHY .ED

Old 02-22-04, 03:37 PM
artbuc
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your interest and questions. I have a Red Jacket Model 50CNWI-CN9BC, 5.5amp/.5hp. Well is 125' deep with pump at 110'. I want more pressure, not volume at my upstairs shower nozzle to create a more forceful, ie higher velocity spray. I have 30psi at the pump switch in the basement just before my pump cuts in. With 5 psi loss in my neutralizer/piping and 10 psi static head I have only 15 psi for pressure drop across the shower nozzle. And this is when no other water is being used in the house. So, adding another 10-20 psi is very significant. I talked with Red Jacket and they told me my pump is not capable of bumping up to a 40-60psi system. I did my own rough calculations which confirmed their statement. So, I can install a new submersible or I can add a booster pump. I'm hoping to get many more years (it is 14 yrs old) out of my current pump so I don't want to mess with it.

Old 02-22-04, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Here are two excellent wells-and-pumps tutorial sites that might help you with your particular system... www.peekspump.com and www.jessstryker.com

Old 02-22-04, 07:00 PM
Okay, my assumption was right about thinking that this had something to do with showers. I would suggest a different showerhead before the expense of a booster pump.

You also are now stating 10-20 lbs of pressure needed than the original 10.

It is wishful thinking that the 14 year old pump will last for years, but reality might be not much longer. And it would be painful to see a new booster pump installed and the wiring and piping to boot to find out the submersible pump went bad months later. Absolutely no way of determining when this might go..and the investment of a new one solves 2 problems,,,,,one not existent, yet.

I would invest in a pump appropriate for your system, enjoy the fact that you were given 14 years of trouble-free service out of your existing pump, and either have a new one installed or change the showerheads.

This would be money well spent till the inevitable arrives on your pump.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBER; 02-22-04 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
artbuc:

To confirm your static pressure figure of 10 psi you would have a difference of about 25 feet in height between the place you measured the pressure and the shower head.
This would indicate the shower is on the upper floor of at least a two story home.
Is this so?

One thing you could try to confirm the capability of the pump is to increase the pressure setting and carefully monitor the change in running amperage with a clamp on ammeter.

You would need to note the amps when the pump is running just prior to the cut-out pressure.
Raise the pressure to what you want and compare the amperage.
It should be at or slightly below the motor's rated amperage.
Carefully note that if the amperage is the slightest bit lower when pumping at the higher pressure the pump could be cavitating which indicates you are exceeding the pumps capability.

Old 02-23-04, 04:59 AM
artbuc
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dunbar and Greg.

Dunbar, I also thought the best approach would be to install a new pump but I can't stand to replace anything which is still working. For me the shower is fine but we have gone through three heads and my wife still isn't happy. Go figure.

Greg, yes the pressure switch is on the basement floor and the shower head is almost at the ceiling of the second story. I like your idea about measuring amps because I really don't know the draw down level which is needed to precisely calculate pump capacity. Considering recent droughts in this area, I don't want to assume the draw down level is much higher than the pump itself.