adding a water storage tank

Old 04-02-04, 09:59 AM
needtodry
Visiting Guest
adding a water storage tank

does anyone have advice on adding a water storage tank to my well which is used for drinking and all other water applications in the house. the system has a 80 gallon tank now and i am finding it hard when watering the yard or running certain appliances that it doesnt use up the water fast. most of the problem is when i am watering the yard.... what are the best types of strage tanks to use and how do you add them to you system??

thanks i am new to the well water thing so i am pretty clueless in this area

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the system has a 80 gallon tank now and i am finding it hard when watering the yard or running certain appliances that it doesnt use up the water fast. most of the problem is when i am watering the yard....
Just what do you mean ????? do you run out of water ? The pump dont keep up ? Does the pump turn on and off???

ED

Old 04-02-04, 01:54 PM
needtodry
Visiting Guest
yeah it seems as though i either run out or the pump doesnt keep up.. ill water a small section for less than 30 minutes and the water pressure is nothing by the end of that time..

Old 04-02-04, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think Id have some one look at the well and pump first to see what its output is here . Before I add another tank or bigger one .

ED

Old 04-02-04, 02:10 PM
needtodry
Visiting Guest
it was tested right before i bought the house it was 30gph and that was 3 months ago

Old 04-02-04, 04:42 PM
J
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by needtodry
it was tested right before i bought the house it was 30gph and that was 3 months ago
The well was tested a 30 GPH or the pump? It sounds like your pump does not have enough GPH to keep up with the sprinkler. A larger tank won't help that problem. Increasing the tank size only increases the time before the pump starts. The pump also runs longer to fill the tank.

Old 04-02-04, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
needtodry:

30 gal/hr would be an extremly low flow rate. This is only 1/2 gal/min.

Ed and joed have the right idea in checking the pump.
It sounds as though you may need a larger one.

Do you know the make and full model number of the pump?

Old 04-03-04, 12:12 AM
needtodry
Visiting Guest
i have no clue wasnt on any of my paperwork is there somewhere i can look to find it out or ?

thanks for all the help so far though i really appriciate it

Old 04-03-04, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
needtodry:

I might assume that because you cannot provide the model of the pump that it is a submersible type.
If the pump is in the bsmt it would be on the pump.
A way of determining what pump you MAY have is to use the numbers of the relay box if it is mounted inside the house.

One thing I wonder after re-reading your question is the fact you can run the water for thirty minutes before you loose pressure.
If the pump runs continuously for a time and looses pressure then maybe you are drawing down the water level in the casing.
You may be able to hear the pump cavitating if you listen at the well.
You can also get some idea what's going on by listening for the pressure switch to click, indicating the pump has started.