increased sediment in well water

Old 06-21-04, 06:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question increased sediment in well water

We have a 5 micron filter on our water line from the well. Recently, I've had to replace the filter more frequently because of increased sediment (small dirt particles). Otherwise, the water is clear and good tasting. The well depth is 325 ft., but the well driller hit water at 50 ft, which I consider to be surface water. Last year, we had near-record rainfall, and I wonder if that somehow increased the sediment? Could this be a temporary problem, or do I have a more serious problem with the well? I live in central Virginia.
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-04, 08:06 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm not seeing your well system correctly but... Taking what you've said literally, it's not a good idea to have anything that can block the water flow between a pump and its pressure switch. So if that's what you have, I suggest removing the filter to the house side of the pressure tank/switch but... why are you filtering at 5 micron? Fifty micron would be fine enough. The pressure tank etc. can handle dirt very well and there's no need to filter it. Simply flush the tank once a year when you drain it to check the air pressure; the dirt collects in the tank and only comes out with the last bit of water as you drain in. It's supposed to work that way when the air pressure and pressure switch are set correctly.

BTW, 50' isn't surface water but how deep is your casiing (assuming a rock bore)?

Yes this can be due to the rain fall you've had and it can be temporary but it can become permanent too. As long as there's no discoloration, don't worry about it, we can't see particles below about 45 microns. But get a Coliform bacteria test done or stop ingesting any of the water.

Gary
Quality water Associates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: