Shallow Well - Submersible Pump?

Old 07-04-04, 08:56 AM
sash6
Visiting Guest
Shallow Well - Submersible Pump?

I've been told by a well contractor that I should get a submersible pump for my shallow well. However, I'm not familiar with this at all - I currently have a jet pump that is causing us a lot of problems. Can you use a submersible pump in a shallow well?

Old 07-04-04, 09:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A "shallow well" is 25' or less. You shouldn't need a submersible pump for a shallow well.
If the depth is greater, then go with one.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-04-04, 12:09 PM
Wink

Like Mike said Its all in how deep is the well that you have now. Have a well here down to 92' pump is on top no jet at all . Lots of water for the lawn.

ED

Old 07-04-04, 01:31 PM
G
Here in the middle of PA we call wells to 150' shallow; many are hundreds of feet deep. Anyway, I/we replace deep well (two line) jet pumps with a submersible regardless of the depth of the well but I can't recall one less than 41'. I've done 3 in the last 6 weeks. It's much more efficient to push water than it is to suck it and then push it. And if you have to dig up the yard to get to the well sanitary seal/cap to pull the drop pipe to replace a jet pump j-body or foot valve... it's not much more money to drop a submersible in and install a pitless adapter, run electric through the one line and water through the other and extend the well casing up above ground and tear out the old jet pump. Actually as a pump guy, not suggesting doing so would be a disservice to the customer IMO. The customer ends up with better flow and gets it faster with less operational cost.

So yes, you can use a submersible and as long as you don't use more water than is stored in the well plus the recovery rate, there won't be any problems. And, you can control that with a valve, a cycle stop valve or low pressure safety cut-off pressure switch or water level device. That applies to any type pump. I vote ya go for it, you'll love the outcome.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Old 07-05-04, 03:11 AM
sash6
Visiting Guest
Gary, my shallow well is indeed just 25 feet deep. Would you still recommend a submersible pump? My regular well contractor has never suggested it to us.

We've been without water for a week because no one will come out and do the excavation work this holiday week/weekend (we have a leak in the line from the house to the well). The only "emergency" service that came out told us that a jet pump inside the house with a galvanized hold tank is "ancient" and he is the one that suggested a submersible pump with a new hold tank. The earliest anyone can come out is this week, so I'm trying to do research on this while I have the chance. I'm just wary because I've never used this other company before and don't want to be taken since they know we are desperate.

I also was wondering if there are any additional problems with submersible pumps if you have a lot of iron in your water.

Thanks to everyone so far for your advice!

Old 07-05-04, 10:41 AM
G
Is the leak between the well and the house or in the well? If between the well and house you have to put in a new line or dig up and fix the old one. Either way you can then easily put in a pitless adapter through the side of the casing if there's none there now.

If the leak is in the well down to the foot valve, you have to access the well and pull the foot valve and fix/replace whatever is leaking. If the well casing is above ground and the leak is in the well, then the cost to replace the pump with a submersible isn't necessary and you should be able to do that very inexpensively yourself if you have the desire and a few common hand tools. If the casing is buried or the leak between the well and house,then I go with what I initially said about going to a submersible and extending the casing to about 18" above ground.

So describe the whole situation in explicit detail.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: