Clogged Main Drain (I think)

Old 07-05-04, 09:43 PM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Clogged Main Drain (I think)

Just bought a 100 year old house with a 50 year old septic system. The tank was pumped and the system certified to be in working order at closing. Things were going fine until a member of the family known for clogging even modern toilets did a number on this one. Everything is clogged, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, tub and toilet. I plunged with no luck and I removed the toliet and hand snaked the drain. It was slow going but I got about 15 feet of the snake in until it would go further. It must have opened up a little because some water is draining, but defintely not fast enough to use the toilet. I am going to rent a big electric snake and wanted any opinions. Like I said the system is old. The kitchen sink, bathroom sink, tub and toilet are located within 8 feet of each other and there is only one vent. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-04, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would relay the cost for your time and trouble to the certain member that clogged the plumbing. When dealing with a septic system, no laughing matter when this can cause major costs if the tank needs maintenance as a result.

Use water to your advantage when cleaning this drain. If you have to pull a toilet to do so, have water in the pipe flush with the flange when running cable; when you see the water drop, instantly pull back on the cable when you notice the water dropping. This will "pop" the clog and the hyrdropressure of the column of water inside of pipe will help push the blockage out.

Old 07-06-04, 05:20 AM
bdodd444
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice

Thank you. I'll heed your advice.