pump won't stop running

Old 07-08-04, 10:53 AM
colemnfam
Visiting Guest
Question pump won't stop running

howdy,
Our well pump which we use for outdoor stuff but the pump will not quit running. It won't allow pressure to build up. I can barely get my truck washed with it. We are not sure how to prime the pump to get the pressure back to where it should be. If someone could give us a hand that would be great. thanks

Last edited by colemnfam; 07-08-04 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add more
Old 07-08-04, 12:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Just what all do you have there,for and on the pump? You said some water is the water low in the well?? turn it off for a time and see if it will have water then.

ED

Old 07-08-04, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are any number of reasons why a well pump might not build up enough pressure to cut itself off when not in use.
The first thing to check would be the pressure tank.
Unplug or turn off the power to the pump, drain off the water pressure, and check the pressure tank with a tire gauge.
It should be two psi below your pump cut-on pressure (i.e. 28 psi for a 30-50 psi cut-on/cut-off, for instance). If water comes out of the tank air valve, replace the pressure tank (the bladder is shot).
If the air pressure is too low, air it back up to the " 2 psi below"with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor.
If that doesn't solve the problem, come back on this same thread and give us more information about your pump and well set-up, and we'll try to help you.
You can see excellent tutorials on wells and pumps at:
www.peekspump.com
www.jessstryker.com
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-08-04, 04:56 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I have to disagree with the previous post. None of those problems with the pressure tank will prevent a pump from building pressure. They will give other problems.

Old 07-08-04, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
joed, you're right. Wouldn't be the pressure tank. (WHAT was I thinking? LOL. Blew one again.)
colenmfan,
Your problem would probably be on the suction side (low well water, leak in piping, clogged point, if it has a point, etc.) or with the pump itself (worn impeller, clogged venturi, motor problems, etc.).
Post back with a detailed description of your well and pump system, and we'll try to figure it out.
Mike

Old 07-13-04, 06:16 AM
brucesfun
Visiting Guest
I had a problem like that

In my case the pipe right above the pump had developed a hole and was pumping the water right back into the well. I had wondered why my electric bill was high all the time. The pump ran all the time until the hole enlarged so much it would not pump water to the faucets at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: