New Home - Well Sediment

Old 07-28-04, 08:15 AM
mwolf00
Visiting Guest
Question New Home - Well Sediment

I've just moved into a new home. The water that we are getting tastes slightly metallic straight from the tap and it is yellow/orange when we fill up our tub. The filter on the refrigerator makes the water taste fine. We tested the water and it is not hard and has safe levels of iron. The problem seems to be worse with hotter water (which can sometimes smell rusty/earthy a).

I've purchased an inline filter cartridge holder and cartridge (GE SMartWater). I was going to install it between the well and the pressure tank. Is this a bad idea because the extra work the pump will do if the filter clogs? I wanted to keep the sediment from the pressure tank also. I've received suggestions from others (let my outside hoses run constantly for a few days before I install a sediment filter - pour bleach down my well) I just don't know what is good advice.

Do I really need to let the PVC Cement cure for two hours before I add pressure back to the system?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW - my well is 165' deep and draws 50 GPM if any of that matters (I've heard that with such a strong draw, I may always have sediment problems)

Old 07-30-04, 04:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would wait 12 hours before allowing water pressure on a newly solvent weld joint.

Air after 2 hours is fine.

Old 07-30-04, 08:48 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is no safe level of iron, it's not a health concern but it is a problem if you have any above say .3 ppm. It will stain things rusty and possibly causes a taste for some people. A water treament dealer on site could tell you more and do some tests to identify what and how much of it is in your water.

The carbon/charcoal filter on the 'fridge will block up fairly soon from the color in the water. It's the wrong type of filter/cartridge for ferric (red water iron) iron. Your sediment filter may not/won't remove all the color if it is caused by tannin or colliodal iron and you'd do better with an automatically backwashed iron filter.

No a pump should never have anything between it and its pressure swictch and your pressure tank doesn't care if there's sediment in it. A blocked cartridge due to a slug of dirt will plug up and blow the drop pipe off the opitless adapter or the pump off the drop pipe or otherwise damage the plumbing in and from the well. So only install after the pressure tank.

I've used sch 40 PVC on many well water systems over the last 16 years and I wait about 15-20 minutes to turn the water on and I've never had a 'glued' joint leak. YMMV.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: