Digging required for pump removal(pitless adapter)

Old 08-04-04, 02:17 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Digging required for pump removal(pitless adapter)

Hello folks, I just signed up.
I need to pull a submersible pump from a 4" well with a pitless adapter.
I have never pulled a pump on this type of well.(only shallow well with jet pump in basement). Do I need to dig outside the well casing down to the pitless adapter and discharge pipe to disconnect, or can I pull up the pipe & pump(using the right pulling equipment of course) by lifting the hanger(saddle) pipe? Thanks

Old 08-04-04, 08:51 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A pitless adapter is a means to lift the pipe and such without having to dig. With a 4" well you have to unlatch a pitless and have all of it come out of the casing to be able to get the pump out past where the pitles connects. That means the part that you see has to move horizontally in the casing before you lift but as it does you have to lift or it falls into the well. So you may want to hire this done or get specific directions for your type pitless adapter. And if you have galvanized drop pipe, you may not be able to lift it, the water in it and the weight of the pump without machinery or a derrick truck.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Old 08-04-04, 07:43 PM
S
Thanks Gary. The pipe that is hanging from the hanger brace at wellhead is steel, but does that mean the pipe below the pitless adapter is steel? Could it be lighter plastic? If it is steel, about how much would 57ft of pipe, the pump itself, and the water in the pipe weigh? I have several methods of pulling and supporting the pipe. Chainfall, lift truck, etc.

Old 08-05-04, 07:03 AM
HouseDr
Visiting Guest
Having just dealt with the installation of a submersible pump as a replacement for a jet pump in a 4" casing I can offer a few words of advise. First, Good Luck! I ended up replacing the pitless adapter as the old style seemed to be impossible to seal. I ended up digging and switching to a 3" pump so I could get it past the new pitless adapter. It only took 2 days to complete! With 3 kids and a beautiful wife in the house wanting to shower I was under the most stress I had ever felt. Next time, I would definitely call the pro in for the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: