Backup Sump Pump

Old 08-29-04, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backup Sump Pump

Last week we had about 10 inches of rain in two days. Needless to say the sump pump was working over time to keepup with the water. You mite know the electric went off both days for about a hour each day. I was bayling water both days to keep the basement dry and thinking there must be a better way to do this.
I found on the internet a water powered backup sump pump that looked like it would work. These pumps don't have any maintenance problems that I can see and only use the water in a emergency when the electric is out or the main pump bracks down.
Has anyone on the site had any experience with these pumps? Do they work? Are they hard to install? Is there any down side, beside the $300.00 price tag, that I haven't seen?

Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-06, 08:39 AM
re: backup sump

I have heard those water-powered systems are preferable to the battery backup systems.
I saw a manual (I think this is the electrical type), and it looks straightforward--I guess depending on how comfortable you are with plumbing and your local code (may not be able to tie into existing line with backup--may have to install second drain line).

I also have a concern/would add a question on line freeze issues in very cold (-60 to 0 ) northern climes on these type (water)of units?

[manual for one model]
http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/zcopdfdocs/FM1282.pdf

Last edited by bamm; 02-18-06 at 08:44 AM. Reason: clarity of message
Old 02-19-06, 08:53 AM
I had a Guardian (Saginaw Pumps) installed. Although I have not yet needed it, it seems to work when I test it. They make cheaper ones, but I have heard of problems with them. (light weight construction).