Installing A DryWell

Old 09-01-04, 09:19 PM
talderson1
Visiting Guest
Installing A DryWell

Hello All,
I would like to install a drywell in my backyard. I've not had any success in actually finding a drywell though. HomeDepot and Lowes don't have them in their inventory. I've read some things about using a plastic garbage can filled with rocks?

Is this a good idea? Any suggestions on where to pick up a drywell?

Thanks.

Old 09-01-04, 10:02 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are trying to capture runoff from rain, you might consider another approach. I have used a mulch lagoon or mulch pit instead of a drywell. The advantage is that the water is not stored inside a container and will not become fetid.

I drew on the work of the website www.oasisdesign.net for my project. A deep enough, wide enough hole is dug and piped. Then the hole is filled with hardwood mulch. Sturdy enough to walk on, the mulch contains the water preventing direct exposure to the air, controls the pH of the water, and allows it to percolate into the surrounding soil.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-04, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dry wells can be anything from a hole in the ground to a perforated container that allows percolation into the surrounding ground filled with mulch, gravel, broken bricks or cinderblock, oyster shells, etc.
Whatever you decide to use, I would wrap ground cloth under, over and around it to help prevent soil intrusion and future clogging of it.
Good Luck!
Mike
Edit: The drain line to the dry well must slope 1/4" per linear foot toward it, of course.

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 09-05-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 03:27 PM
R
dry well co

Try the website for Thenaturalhome.com
(http://www.thenaturalhome.com/drywellinstallation.htm)
They sell dry wells, and have some good layouts/drawings on the site.

Old 07-08-07, 03:37 PM
V
Vey
I used a condemned plastic drum that I got from a drum cleaning company. $10.

Old 07-08-07, 06:02 PM
J
Old shrub pots.

How big do you need?

Those cheap plastic five gallon pots shrubs come in are a nice size to bury, and easy to cut holes in, but they definitely need to be filled with rocks.

I made one just the way Mike S. described above.

I think I will need something more on the size of a full size joint compound container for the next one. I am wondering if one will hold up without fill if I put a large slab of granite over it [resting on pack soil around it, not on the container itself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: