fine grey silt in water

Old 09-08-04, 03:34 PM
quikwriter
Visiting Guest
fine grey silt in water

We have a 325' deep well that is approximately 15-18 yrs. old. we have fine silt in the sinks, toilets, washing machine, etc. From the storage tank, we have an in-line filter (3 microns) charcoal. it was replaced two weeks ago. Replaced the filter because it was filled up with this silt. There is now about an inch of silt around the filter base. and we are seeing it in the above mentioned places once again (after only two weeks).

We first started this silt approximately 2-3 months ago. We would appreciate any information as to what would resolve this problem. We are worried about ruining the appliances (washing machine, etc.).

Thank you

Old 09-08-04, 05:16 PM
J
Received 338 Votes on 291 Posts
Could be that the silt level in the bottom of your well has risen to the point the umpis now drawing it in. Solution would be to raise the pump several feet higher in the well.

Old 09-08-04, 08:09 PM
quikwriter
Visiting Guest
How would accomplish that?

Should I remove the cap and try to lift the line about a foot?
If I cut the line?? How would I maintain the water in it so I do not lose my prime?

Old 09-09-04, 05:53 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
But several feet doesn't equate to "a foot"... but the only way to know where the stuff is coming from is a video inspection. Raising the foot valve or pump is a good idea because all well have a sediment buildup in the bottom of the well and over time it can become a number of feet deep. Here as in many places, the foot valve or pump is set at 10-20' off the bottom but we have rock bore wells, fully cased and screened wels the foot vavle or pump is set according to the screening etc..

If you don't know how to prime your pump asuming you have a jet pump, it's past time to read up on it. Really it's fairly simple but more imortant here is how to lift the drop pipe in the well. First it may be too heavy to do by hand. Some are galvanized pipe in 20' sections. My advice is to call in a well driller or pump guy or a water treatment dealer or plumber that knows wells, pumps and water treatment. You can have the material analyzed to make sure it is not something used to drill the well that is now coming out of the well (like drilling mud; very possible if you have had a lot of rain lately) as opposed to coming in with the recovery water.

As to your carbon filter, carbon it is the wrong choice for 'dirt'. A water treatment dealer is the best choice as to what type filter to use. I would suggest a spin down if not backwashed type but a filter treats the syptom rather than the cause and you need t oknow the cause or you may end uup wit ha more serious problem like a hole in the casing etc..

Gary
Qulaity Water Associates

Old 09-09-04, 05:58 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I knew there was something wrong.... a 325' well will not have a pump that has to be primed. You only prime jet pumps and IMO you have to have a submersible pump in the well. And I don't know any DIYer that can pull a submersible from say 315' or so even if it is hung on PE tubing.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: