Pitless adapter

Old 09-16-04, 02:35 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pitless adapter

I hired a pro to come fix what seemed to be a leaky foot valve on our jet pump well.

The well is located just outside our back steps, and after digging, I had the contractor install a pitless adapter, buried just below ground level. He installed a PVC pipe. Reading a bit, I see that it is recommended the casing should come several inches above ground level to avoid possible surface water infiltration. Can't do that where we walk every day. Should we reconsider using the pitless adapter, or is our water supply safe with the well capped just below ground level?

The fix of the foot valve, unfortunately, didn't seem to last. Shortly after the contractor left, the well started pumping every three minutes again. The contractor had said something like he thought there might be a crack in the pipe or a fitting while he was pulling the pipes out of the well, but he didn't see any problem and replaced the foot valve. Thing seemed to work right after it was installed.

What should I do? I already gave the guy a check ... arg.

Fortunately, I haven't shovelled the dirt back. I'm thinking of putting in a submersible pump while I've got the thing dug out, if there is a cracked pipe, but suspect I'd better bring in a (different...) professional to replace the jet pump...

Old 09-16-04, 10:30 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is it in your opinion that he did wrong or incorrectly? Wouldn't he have charged more had he installed new fittings and tubing? I think you're upset that possibly you'll have to pay labor to pull the drop pipe again... no? Was this a pump guy, driller or plumber?

What proof do you have that the leak is on the well side of the pressure tank and not on the house side? Shut off the water to the house past the pressure tank and if the pump doesn't run, the leak is in the house. If it continues, the nget someone to use air pressure to test the drop pipe for leaks. What if the new foot valve has dirt in it which is causing it to leak?

What is your frost line depth in relation to the depth of the pitless adapter and water line? Use a sanatary seal instead of a cap and bury it again or bring the casing up to just under ground adn use the same seal.

If the problem is in the well, I would suggest a submersible instead of a jet pump. Basically no one doing so ever regrets it because a submrsible moves water much better than a jet pump.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Old 09-17-04, 04:18 PM
C
Thanks for the reply.

I've shut off the water line past the pressure tank, and checked the air bladder in the tank, so we're pretty sure the problem is actually backflow.

I hoped maybe there was dirt in the new foot valve, but the problem has persisted a couple days.

I guess we should give the contractor another chance. I thought he should have noticed if the pipe was cracked when the pipe came up, and come prepared to fix it the first time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: