Sump pump won't turn off

Old 09-25-04, 09:47 AM
shewood
Visiting Guest
Question Sump pump won't turn off

My sump pump gets the water out fine, it just won't turn off! The floater won't go down. I can give it an easy push and it will go down (I can feel a sort of "catch" in the lever that is attached to the pump). The problem is that I always have to do this manually, which is a problem when I am away from home. The pump is about 7 years old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-25-04, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is a zoeller.............you have a defective switch. Make a point to see if there is build-up around the armature; this sometimes is the problem.

Old 09-26-04, 09:28 PM
Bob Haller
Visiting Guest
you could install a new switch, just tie the old switch on permanetely, and plug the pump into the new switch well above the water level.

or replace the pump altogether

Old 03-12-07, 07:56 AM
J
Sort of the Same Problem

Originally Posted by shewood View Post
My sump pump gets the water out fine, it just won't turn off! The floater won't go down. I can give it an easy push and it will go down (I can feel a sort of "catch" in the lever that is attached to the pump). The problem is that I always have to do this manually, which is a problem when I am away from home. The pump is about 7 years old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have a similar problem. The type of pump is obscured by clay build up inside the pump well and the pump has no floater, so the float witch is hidden somewhere and I can't find it to check it. Any ideas on where to find the switch and clean it? I am afraid the pump will eventually fail if it sticks on and runs dry for a long period of time. My pump runs quite a bit right now with the spring thaw coming on.

I have pulled to plug to the pump to get it to turn off, and allowing several fills and runs eventually gets the pump to operate normally. Any ideas?

Old 03-13-07, 12:21 AM
L
It's probably a diaphragm switch, that looks like it is part of the pump. Is your plug a piggyback? (Pump plug plugs into another plug that plugs into outlet?) I'm no expert, but if so, then the diaphragm switch or connections are probably going bad. I have the same problem and I can get mine to reset, sometimes up to a week before it stays on until I unplug for a few minutes. (NOT a great thing when traveling...) I am going to either replace the switch or the whole pump depending on what I find when I take apart the switch.

LM

Last edited by DIYaddict; 03-13-07 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed
Old 03-13-07, 05:35 AM
C
IMO - I would tend to agree that if you cannot see a working switch mechanism, then a buried diaphagm switch is a possibility. They tend to mount fairly low.

If your pump is in good working order, you can replace the switch as already suggested. Many sump brands use SJE Rhombus switches as their OEM. You can get the switches themselves separately (vertical shaft, wide angle float, diaphagm, etc.).

I would also get dirty and clean out your pit before installing a new switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: