Question about water well maintenence

Old 10-04-04, 06:16 PM
dugx14
Visiting Guest
Question about water well maintenence

I have been replacing my whole house filter (I use the string wound type) every couple weeks lately. Twice the filter was black when I removed it, but lately it has been a muddy brown color (normal). The area I live in (western Pa) has been getting a lot of rain this year.

Is it possible that I have an accumulation of mud and or rock at the bottom of my 200 ft. well ?

Should I remove the filter , bypass my softener and run the well out of water (this is not hard to do, my well does not produce like it did when new) and pump out whatever is down there ?

Thanks !

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-04, 06:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 627 Votes on 579 Posts
Surface water can be getting into your well. This is not a good thing. It means that surface contaminates are getting into your well (dirt, mudd, E. Coli, Cloriform...). If it is surface water it's probably leaking in around your well casing. This summer I had a rental house with a similar problem. First a filter cartridge would last a month and finally I was having to replace it every couple days.

Down here in NC we have certain areas of our county where the soil very hard on galvanized steel well casings. The steel well casings rust out in a few years and all sorts of "stuff" gets into the well. The only solution I've found that works is to have the well casing sleeved. Sleeving puts a plastic (usually) sleeve down the top part of the well and it is grouted (cemented) in place. This prevents anything from the surface getting into the well. Then the only thing entering the well is cleaner water from below.

Confirm what you problem is before sleeving. It will probably cost you $750-$1'000.