Air in pipes...

Old 10-11-04, 02:42 PM
dadams5070
Visiting Guest
Air in pipes...

I am getting air in my water pipes, causing the water to surge and sputter. Also, the water will occasionally stop flowing for several minutes at a time, then resume flow. Also, a large amount of rust particles occasionally come out of the faucets, then the water seems to clear up.

I have a well-x-troll 203 pressure tank, about 17 years old. I drained the tank and checked the pressure, it was at 26 lbs. The pump doesn't appear to be cycling consistently (30/50), and it usually doesn't cut off until 70lbs.

Someone told me that this could be a bad/clogged pressure switch. If true, why would this cause air to be introduced into the system?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-04, 04:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 532 Votes on 489 Posts
Your well could be running out of water and the pump is sucking air.

Old 10-17-04, 09:07 AM
Kevin e
Visiting Guest
same prob.

We are having the same problem.
I have changed the pump, replumb all my piping for pump,expansion tank and line coming in from well, check or replaced all check valves.
I still have to check footvalve in well (I do not think that is it, maybe you have found out if that happens commonly?) the well has alot of water (shallow well-12' deep) so thats not it.
Unfortunatly it looks like i am digging up my water line and putting in anew one the old one must have a break, unless you have found out something I have not tried , please let me know.
Thank you.
Kevin e

Old 10-17-04, 02:35 PM
dadams5070
Visiting Guest
Kevin -

I'm having a well guy come over tomorrow, I'll post results.

I was fooling with it today. I turned the power off, drained the tank, and turned the power back on. The tank maintained 50lbs of pressure for some time, then out of the blue I heard gurgling sounds inside the tank and the pressure gauge went up to 75lbs. I banged the pressure switch a couple of times, the tank seemed to start emptying and the pressure went to 0. I had no water pressure in the house at this time. Within about 15 minutes, the pressure went back to 50lbs and I had water again.

Any ideas based on these new symptoms?