Air in Jet Pump

Old 10-20-04, 06:35 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air in Jet Pump

Hi All,
I have a shallow well. I just bought a new 3/4 hp jet pump and installed it with what I think is an older 'galvanized' style tank (sorry if that is not the proper lingo). After I got it to prime properly, I managed to get the tank filled. I used the water for about 5 minutes, then the water petered out slowly and stopped. I unplugged the pump and figured it lost it's prime somehow. When I undid the priming access bolt (slowly), it was loaded with air...then it shot water out. At this point I tightened it and turned the pump on again. It refilled once again, but then the same issue happened. I see no trace of a leak and the one time I disconnected the hose, the water was right to the top of the suction line, which to me says there is no problem from the well to the pump??

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-04, 08:49 PM
The tank you have should be completely drained of all water before refilling, along with an air volume control that goes back to the head of pump.

Old 10-21-04, 08:11 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The usual cause is an air leak in the suction side if a two line deep well jet or the pump is cavitating. Check your connections for suction leaks.

What size pump did you replace?

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 05:06 AM
F
air leak

I replaced an old 1/2 HP Duro Piston(?) pump with this jet pump. This old pump was belt-driven and was rusted pretty bad. I wanted to fix it, but honestly I couldn't even budge the bolts after torching them, so I opted for a new one. The old one had a similar issue with air, but I could hear the air seaping out of the unit and it would be perenially leaking. Obviously a seal or O ring needed replacing. The jet pump just happened to be $50 off the week that this happened, so it suddenly became an option.

Thanks for both your comments guys. I will do both this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Old 10-22-04, 06:37 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may be starving the pump for water; the size of the suction line or a restriction in it. A 1/2 hp would have been larger than needed so I'd check the specs on your new pump to see how well it fits your well and how much water it delivers.

You probably still have the original air leak. I'd check the plumbing back to the well and the water level in the well to make sure you aren't sucking air into the foot valve.

Sorry to diagree with anyone but IMO your pressure tank has nothing to do with the (cause) of air in your pump and it not moving water into the tank.

The "hose" you disconnect... check that it is not sucked close (collapsed) when the pump runs.

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 05:05 AM
F
Solved!

I heated all of the connections on the suction side and made sure they were tight. Obviously this was the issue as she seems to be singing now. Yippie!

Thanks for your help gentlemen!