Draining water from submersible well pump system

Old 11-10-04, 12:11 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Draining water from submersible well pump system

I had a new submersible well pump system installed for my drinking water and now that it is getting cold I have to drain the water from the pipes down to the pump. The installer said that I need to get a 1/2 inch pipe and squash it on the end to make a blade which fits in a slot part way down the pipe. I'm assuming there is some sort of checkvalve in the pipe. He said once I feel it slip into the slot to turn it and it will let the water flow down to water level. I made the pipe and put it in the slot but how far should I have to turn it or do I push on it to release the water?

Others have told me that once I turn the pump off and drain the holding tank that the water will go down without doing anything. Does anyone know which is correct and how I can tell which system I have? I'm having a hard time getting in touch with the installer to ask him.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 12:14 AM
T
Check your owner's manual. When you shut off the pump and turn on the drain valve, that should drain the system. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer.

Old 11-15-04, 05:32 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All submersible pumps have either an internal or external check valve in/on their outlet so water can not drain out of the pipe. He has installed a valve for you to drain the water at/below the pitless adapter in the well no?

A quarter to half turn should open the valve but water won't run out until you allow air in on the other end of the line; like in the buiilding. That's if you have a check valve at the presssure tank. If you don't then the pressure tank should push the water backwards and out that valve but... that doesn't mean the lines are winterized unless the line from the well is sloped uphill to the building and allows all water to gravity drain. Which usually isn't the case and you have to blow the lines with air.

He should have tested his work to make sure this process actually worked, what did he do wth the smooshed end 'tool' he used.... and how do you know you are in the rotating part of the valve correctly?

Gary
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Company Name Removed Only
Doug Aleshire, Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 03-11-05 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 08:02 AM
B
Thanks for the information. I finally made contact with the installer over the weekend and he told me that the valve he installed has to be turned or unscrewed 3-4 turns to open it. Your idea about the check valve is a good one and I'll have to look on the plumbing to see if he installed one.