Septic Tank Riser

Old 11-18-04, 12:55 PM
rhallowell
Visiting Guest
Septic Tank Riser

I want to install a riser on my septic tank. The technician that visited me said I could do this buy buying a 24-inch diameter black plastic corrugated pipe, then cut it to length (about 12 inches long), affixing one end to the top of the tank over the hole with black mastic, backfilling with dirt level with the ground, and placing the original concrete lid over top. Seems simple, but I can't find the pipe or the mastic anywhere. Someone else suggested I get a 24 inch diameter cardboard concrete footer form, placing it around the hole, surrounding it with reinforcing wire, getting a larger form - say 26 inches diameter- and placing it around the inner form, and pouring concrete between them - making a tube of concrete 2 inches thick. Any suggesstions, comments, etc pro or con either way?

Old 11-19-04, 12:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
most local building supply yards sell concrete risers that can be used for this purpose. They generally come in 24, 36 and 48" dia. and 6, 12, 18 and 24" height.Many of them come with lids too. These risers are heavy and require two people to place them, but should do the job a lot better than plastic pipe,
and be easier than making your own.
The concrete riser septic tank entry is very common in our area of western Canada. Good luck with it.

Last edited by nomind; 11-19-04 at 12:14 AM. Reason: missed out sizes
Old 11-19-04, 05:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 876 Votes on 806 Posts
You never said what your existing septic tank riser was like. My tank has a black plastic riser with a "waffle" pattern on the outside. I just bought additional riser sections to get to the elevation I wanted. If your tank riser is 24" concrete I'd get more of the same. Septic tanks are very simple so I would not clouge something together when you can probably do it right for no additional cost or trouble.

The riser gives you access to the tank for servicing, and it should be water tight (you do not want to process ground water that leaks into the system).

Old 11-21-04, 08:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

I like that word "clouge " , Pilot Dane. I come across a lot of situations where I can use a word like that. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: