Sump Pump - Backup Pump or Emerg Power

Old 11-23-04, 01:07 AM
ivgid
Visiting Guest
Sump Pump - Backup Pump or Emerg Power

I need some help. I'm looking for a battery backup sump pump to install in the basement in case of power outtage. In trying to do some research on sump pumps, I found a company in Florida that offers a emergency power supply (EPS) that you merely plug your existing sump pump into. The EPS is plugged into an existing outlet and is always charged and ready to go. So, in the event of a power outtage, the existing pump runs off the batteries.

Sounds better than getting a battery backup pump, marine battery, charger, etc.

Does anyone have experience with the EPS? It seems like it's too good an alternative to be true.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-04, 02:48 PM
Bob Haller
Visiting Guest
The advantage to a seperate pump ideally with a seperate drain line? It prevents the following

A single point failure can still take out the pump and flood the basement pump fails check valve stuck etc

If theres a way to drain the sump by gravity do it. like street is lower than bottom of sump, run a drain line, start digging.

converting the battery voltage to line voltage to power the pump is inefficent. plus batteries loose capacioty over time and will require replacement every few years, wether its the back up unit your talking about or a marine battery for a 12 volt pump.

look at the run times of the battery unit. now in a heavy rain how long does the pump run?

if your pump doesnt run much even after a downpour you a better candidate
for a direct battery unit.