pressure tank

Old 11-28-04, 12:01 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pressure tank

Hi, I have looked through and tried suggestions, but not sure what to do next. Our water pressure has recently declined. We followed instructions for checking pressure in the tank and found ours to be 15psi. We filled to 38psi, but it hasn't seemed to help. We had the tank, pump and footvalve replaced 8yrs ago. No water came out of the valve when testing, could be a small leak in the bladder?? Tanks are relatively inexpensive, would that be our 1st step??We have a shallow well if that makes a difference approx 25ft. I watched the gauge attached to the pump while someone was using the shower, and when the pump came on it was at 38 psi, then while pump was running the needle shook, but went up to 42 psi until the pump kicked off. Thanks in advance for any help......Cathy

Last edited by clopez; 11-28-04 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 12:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi, Clopez, checking the footvalve is easy. Take off the prime plug on top of your pump and fill completely to the top. If the water slowly reduces, chances are you have leak in the down line. Most shallow well pipes have a 90 elbow just inside the well to allow the pipe to hang straight down, remove the lower section and bring it out . now you can visually inspect the foot valve and replace if necessary.
Now to your other question, to properly aircharge the tank, it is necessary to release the water in it , then charge to 2 psi below your "on" pressure. This generally means a 28 psi charge for an "on" of 30 psi. You may need to reset your pressure switch. (On /off are usually 30/50). in this condition, the pump will kick on at 30 and fill the tank to 50, then stay off till the tank has reduced to 30. Let us know how this works, I'll keep an eye on this thread in case I can help again.

Old 12-01-04, 06:38 PM
C
Additional issues with pressure problems

I have noticed that the pump is kicking on and off quite frequently. While showering say in a 10 to 15 min time span the pump is kicking on and off every couple of minutes, and stays on for about 1 min or less. Earlier a suggestion was given to reset the on/off to 30/50, how is this done, as it is the next thing I'll try. Thanks aagain for your help as it is most appreciated. Cathy

Old 12-05-04, 09:00 PM
gwarr
Visiting Guest
From your last post it would seem like you have a waterloged pressure tank, or to small of a tank. Try to put some air in your tank to see if that improves your pressure.

Old 12-06-04, 01:22 AM
Hi Clopez, it 's not quite as simple as "putting a little air in the tank". I explained earlier in the thread how to PROPERLY set up your tank air. Do it the right way first and you won't be going back to it. This is the only way to be certain your bladder is holed or not .

Old 12-06-04, 03:50 AM
C
Hi Nomid,
I believe we did do it the correct way, we turned off power, drained the tank of all water then checked the pressure at that time it was 15psi that was when we filled it back with air to 38psi. Matters not at this point got a well guy coming out this week, from everything I have read I believe it is our pressure tank, hopefully!!!! Have a great holiday and Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!

Old 12-06-04, 02:21 PM
T
What is your cut in/cut out pressure? You can't make the precharge 38 psi if your pressue switch is set to 30/50.

Old 12-12-04, 04:51 PM
Hi Clopez,
So what happened with the tank ? -It was left that a well guy was coming to check it for you. Can you let us know what he did?
It always helps to find the end result of these kind of online diagnostics. Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: