Lots of air in lines

Old 12-20-04, 08:24 AM
Big E
Visiting Guest
Lots of air in lines

I recently replaced my Jet pump and preasure tank on my shallow well. I upgrade the pump to a 3/4 hp and a larger 30 gal tank. Currently, there is a very small leak where the new PVC connects to the old iron pipe that goes into the well (this will be fixed, time permitting). There is also a slow drip from a ball valve after the tank, before the softener. Everytime you use the water (from any faucet) it spits air, after running for a few minutes, the air subsides somewhat. Could the small leak before the pump actually allow that much air into the system? Could the small leak after the tank allow air into the system? Or, could the added power of the new pump cause the well to suck air?

Last edited by Big E; 12-20-04 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi big E,
- Any 'small leak' in a jetpump system is a big NO-NO Such a leak will drastically reduce your pumps efficiency, cause cavitation in the impeller , allow air to get into the system and generally cause problems. The only reason it's working at all is because it's a new pump !
I'd suggest you fix those leaks ASAP, then you'll find most of your problems are solved.

Old 12-22-04, 06:38 AM
Big E
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestion. I repaird the leak that I knew of and inspected the rest of the pipes that connect to the well. I then found a "Large" leak at a coupler going down into the well. This leak was temporrarily sealed and the air problem was instantly solved.

Now, I need assistance in replacing the well piping. Right now I have PVC
(1 1/4") from the pump connected to iron pipe (1") going into the well. I live across the street from a large lake and assume my well is fairly shallow. In this iron pipe is my check valve that will also need to be replaced. What do I need to know about pulling out the old pipe from the well and putting the new one in? Or, should I get a plumber?

Last edited by Big E; 12-27-04 at 09:35 AM.