polypropylene water tank adhesive

Old 01-06-05, 06:40 PM
John316
Visiting Guest
polypropylene water tank adhesive

I have a blue water tank in my home that I would guess is polypropylene, and I can not find an adhesive that will adhere to it. Is there something special that I should be looking for. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-05, 09:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi John,
-is this just a holding tank ? No pressure in it? and whatr exactly do you need the adhesive to do ?

Old 01-07-05, 04:07 AM
John316
Visiting Guest
nomind,

You are correct it is a no pressure holding tank. The water leaves the tank via PVC pipe and where the pipe passes through the tank wall it is leaking. The sealant that was used is white in color and hardly adheres to the tank, it is no wonder that it leakes.

Old 01-07-05, 08:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi John,
- There's so many different kinds of plastics these days it's hard to generalise. However, I have found that hot glue gun adhesive usually works on these. Another good adhesive that works even on wet conditions is "Storm-King", a tube adhesive from Hickson Products, Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.
If you ever get to see your tank empty, the real solution is to tap a pipe thread in the plastic. I've done this many times in plastic storage barrels that were originally made for fruit and berry growers. I use an old piece of 1/2" threaded steel pipe (a 2 or3" nipple) and cut two longitudinal grooves in the thread, then fix a T handle on it at other end. Drill a pilot hole in the plastic about 1/16 less than pipe dia. Screw the pipe in carefully with a back and forward motion and soon you will have threads. At this time I glue in a plastic bushing, threaded inside and out. Now you can use a plastic pipe in it without fear of leaks.

Do it Right - Do it once