Water powered sump pump backup

Old 01-18-05, 08:25 AM
HandyDanny
Visiting Guest
Water powered sump pump backup

I've been reading about the water powered sump backup system. This seems to be a great idea as no batteries are required and it creates a powerful suction action using your homes water supply.
Can anyone provide some feedback on this please?
They are pretty in-expensive but look difficult to install.
Thanks.

Old 01-18-05, 09:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Handy Danny,
- the ones I've seen of these are not too difficult. ie. anybody with basic plumbing knowledge can do it. If you've ever fitted a sink, you'll manage it.
However, I can say nothing about their reliability, not bad, I've just never personally heard reports on them. They're reputed to be very good and certainly you should investigate further into costs etc.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 01-26-05, 05:20 PM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Water Powered backup sump pumps

I was thinking seriously about adding one of these to my already battery backed up sump in a condo that stands empty six months out of the year. I was talking to my friend who is the local city services director, and he told me that the water powered emergency sumps tend to stick open, creating very angry citizens when they get the bill for the water that ran even after the electrical power came back on. As far as I know, the battery backup has always lasted until the power came back on, and since I have a security system alarm wired to the sump, I always get to know when they fail. I set the alarm float to trip at the same time the battery back up float trips. That gives me two hours to get over there with a spare pump or generator. If I could find a super reliable water driven backup, I would be really interested. Not much room in the sump need one that mounts to the joist above it. Ive seen one from Radonseal recommended here, but would sure like some testimonials...

Old 01-26-05, 11:08 PM
Hi WML13,
- that's a very good point about water powered pumps possibly sticking on. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I will try to find out more on that, so we know if it's generally correct or not.

Old 02-02-05, 09:37 PM
M
water driven pump

Just a thought, if your'e on a well system, a water driven sump pump is not

a good choice. A lot of sump pump ''problems'' are result of power failures.

A power failure will also shut down your well pump.

Old 02-03-05, 04:39 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Water Powered backup sump pumps

The Condo is supplied by city water. Loss of power is a problem because of the amount of water constantly getting to the sump there. The ONLY backup I dont have there is for the loss of power over an extended period of time. Id put in a water powered backup just for that, if I could find one with a good reputation for not sticking open.

Old 02-05-05, 11:40 AM
Bob Haller
Visiting Guest
If you have phone service there you could put some sort of sensor that would detect water use and sound alarm//

Water powered ones cant be exposed to freezing conditions

a were using water here might be a good idea in case of a broken pipe or kids mucking with things

if you have no phone service a flashing light in a window with neighbors nstructed where to call is another option

if the condo is higher than the street a overflow underground drain pipe might be a option

Old 02-05-05, 05:21 PM
That phone service alarm/sensor is a great idea Bob. Are there such devices available, and where would you get one?

Old 02-07-05, 01:46 PM
Northern_Guy
Visiting Guest
Which Backup to Get?

I just bought and installed the Home Guard from Zoeller... and promptly uninstalled it and am taking it back. The valve on this pump was worthless, as it continued to drip water and spray out the side when the valve was closed. The pump itself worked pretty good, but when it shut off the water continued to spray out the valve. Not good.

I should have known better that you get what you pay for, and at $150 it was far from a deal. I'm currently looking at three other models, but would like some feedback on them.

Last edited by nomind; 02-07-05 at 07:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: