HELP! Plumbed in a new well pressure tank...now leaking.

Old 02-04-05, 07:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP! Plumbed in a new well pressure tank...now leaking.

I finished plumbing in a new well pressure tank and I used Sch 40 PVC where I could. Where PVC is glued together with other PVC, the joints are solid and not leaking. Where PVC male threads are joined with female steel / galvanized steel, I have very small weeping leaks...about a drip every 10 secs.

I used several wraps of teflon tape on the PVC male ends wrapped in a clockwise fashion (threads facing you).

Since I will be redoing it to correct the leaks, I'm thinking I need some sort of thread sealant compound for male PVC to steel female joints and do away with the teflon tape.

Any ideas which brands are the best? Also, about how tight should I be wrenching on the PVC male joints? Should they be bottoming out or is there a rule of thumb (like hand tight and then a full turn with the wrench).

Any ideas are welcomed!

Old 02-04-05, 10:08 PM

This is a really good product that I use on all IPS threads.

Use a few wraps of teflon, then smear a small amount of this product on the threads before installing.

Old 02-05-05, 05:11 AM
D
Thanks!

I'm heading out to the nearest home improvement store now to get some.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by DUNBAR PLUMBER

This is a really good product that I use on all IPS threads.

Use a few wraps of teflon, then smear a small amount of this product on the threads before installing.

Old 02-05-05, 07:29 AM
P
I've had much better luck with thread dope on PVC to galvanized parts, rather than teflon tape. I have seen some thread dope that is not recommended for PVC, so be sure to read the can.
Don't overtighten the PVC fittings. I just kinda "snug em in". For me, it's more of a "feel" thing than a method.
Ron

Old 02-05-05, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi dcbc991,
- i'm sorry if I neglected to mention about using pipe thread compound in our original discussion. I always use it as well as teflon tape. Ron gives you excellent advice previously, that's a good product. I've used 2-3 others as well, all were good. I would definitely use both tape and compound on ALL joints.
I tighten male PVC into metal with a 10" pipe wrench. this lets you get really tight but not enough to damage anything.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-06-05, 11:38 AM
D
All done and leak free!!

Well, I had to redo it 3 times, but I finally got it right on the last attempt. The first, I already posted. The second time, I got too impatient and turned on the electricity to the pump before the last glued PVC joint had a chance to fully cure. Reached about 55 PSI and WHOOSH!!...had my own personal Niagra Falls. After cleanup, took my time, and used teflon with blue thread sealant compound for every male PVC end. Happy to say everything is done and now leak free. I have very stable water pressure and the pump only comes on once in awhile and runs for at least a minute on each cycle.

Definitely an easy job and I save over $450 by doing it myself.

Thanks for the support here.

Originally Posted by nomind
Hi dcbc991,
- i'm sorry if I neglected to mention about using pipe thread compound in our original discussion. I always use it as well as teflon tape. Ron gives you excellent advice previously, that's a good product. I've used 2-3 others as well, all were good. I would definitely use both tape and compound on ALL joints.
I tighten male PVC into metal with a 10" pipe wrench. this lets you get really tight but not enough to damage anything.

Old 02-06-05, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi dcbc991,
- a job well done by yourself is always very satisfying ! Congratulations on your achievement !
Now you can feel confident to chip in here with advice to the 'novices'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: