Sump Pump Noise

Old 02-14-05, 05:14 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump Noise

Lately when my sump pump pushes the water out of the basement there is a noise, almost like a banging for a few seconds after it is done pushing the water out.
I checked to see where the noise is coming from and it appears to be somewhere near the sump pump itself down in the can. Could it be the back water valve?
Anyone ever have this problem?

Old 02-14-05, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi crk99,
- the noise is coming from the check valve, and is normal. It may decrease if you stabilise the pipe above it with some foam insulation or something like that.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-14-05, 02:41 PM
D
Had the same problem with my setup until I removed the check valve. I'm guessing the one you have has a smaller ID than the pipe it's using. Mine has 1-1/2 inch pipe, but the moron plumber who installed it used a very small check valve. I have seen much beefier ones. A friend has one such check valve and it's very quiet (no "clunk" sound after the pump stops).

1. Remove you check valve if you can -- that'll fix the problem.

2. If you cannot, either get a sump pump with a built-in check valve or get a larger check valve.

Last edited by nomind; 02-15-05 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-14-05, 11:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Simply removing the check valve will only cause the pump MORE work.
Yes, it'll be quieter, but thepump will also wear out quicker. There are many different types of check valves, I would suggest that the noisy ones are probably the 'el cheapo' plastic ones. Get a good brass body, spring operated check valve, same diam. as the tube and it'll be quieter, and last lots longer.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-15-05, 09:50 AM
C
Well, I think I found out the noise problem. Yesterday, the sump pump stopped working. When I went down into the basement and I found it flooded. So I went out and bought a new sump pump. Now I'm drying out the basement.
I do like the recommendation to install a better check valve. The one that I have installed is plastic.
Thanks for the ideas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: