Septic design (Tank/Pump/Line/Distro/Leach Field)

Old 02-18-05, 04:08 PM
CurtisBrinson
Visiting Guest
Septic design (Tank/Pump/Line/Distro/Leach Field)

My father's house sits on land that slopes downward very slightly North to South, but the water table is 4 feet deep. The 1000 gallon septic tank (no pump at this time) is on the South side of the house and the lines/field are stopped up. We've had the septic tank pumped and inspected and it appears to be fine. We were planning to simply redig the lines and leach field, but Georgia code now requires that the leach field be 100' from the well vs. 50' in the past. We tested the well water for bacteria - good water at 400'. So, we need to have the water routed from the back of the house to the front of the house. That's why we thought of usilng a pump. My understanding is that the septic tank will empty into a secondary tank that holds a pump, which will pump the water to the leach field. My question is "What type of line, what size of line, and can I pump this up a slight incline to the new leach field?" Also, can I use a material for the line (plastic) that I can bend around the house. Thanks!

Old 02-19-05, 12:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi CurtisBrinson, and welcome to DIY Forums,
- what you're proposing is quite common, at least in Canada. I'm not sure about the flexible line though, we use 1 1/2" or 2" pvc for this and insert elbows (as few as possible). You will need an effluent pump capable of pumping to wherever you new distribution box is. Probably a good cast iron 1/2 hp pump . You fit the pump in the new liquids tank, on a paving slab ( to raise it above debris ) it pumps up to a union at the top (so the pump can be easily removed for maintenance), and then to a check valve just inside the tank wall, then out to the distrbution box.
You will find it most convenient to site this tank within 20' of where your power is, then you can get a pump and float combo with 20' wires and a 'piggyback' connector. The alternative ( more expensive and not popular) is to run power into the liquid tank, ending in a waterproof box.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: