Anyone drill their own well?

Old 02-23-05, 08:42 PM
Bob Haller
Visiting Guest
Anyone drill their own well?

I am buying a hydra drill and going to try drilling my own well. My home had a hand dug well on it before the homes were built some 50 years ago. The old well was filled in.

I honestly dont need a well, since we have city water. But I wanted to do this since I was a little kid. Wash cars, water lawn etc. The idsea of a hand pump on the lawn is kinda nifty.

bonus for running toilets from it, plus flushing wouldnt change water pressure, no more scalding showers.

I am pretty handy, and have some friends who want one too. Sholuldnt have more than $500 in it.

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-05, 08:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Bob,
- that sounds like great idea ! I'd like to try that myself, do you have any pics of this 'hydradrill' that you can post. How much does it cost and how does it deal with rocks?

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-24-05, 10:59 AM
Wink

nomind Check out in the back of any POPULAR MECHANICS mag they always have an add in there for the drill rig.

ED

Old 03-01-05, 05:21 AM
I have dug 4 shallow wells using a shop vac. I works great. Just start with a shovel and dig down past the topsoil, then go to town with the shop vac. Use 3" or 4" PVC as an extension as you get deeper. You can also use the PVC as a well casing. I have dug about 25' in less then 1 hour. You need to pull up larger rocks individually as they get stuck to the bottom of the suction pipe. If you encounter a difficult rock, tape something like a soda bottle to the bottom of the pipe. The idea is that the bottle will flex around the rock and create a better seal for the suction. You obviously need to use a powerful shop vac, or perhaps two shop vacs with a Y pipe fitting. I would be happy to provide more detail if anyone is interested.

Old 03-02-05, 03:32 AM
Bob Haller
Visiting Guest
Thats a interesting approach I will run it by a friend. Did you use a impact method to break up whatever rock you hit?

Old 03-02-05, 04:27 AM
If I hit a rock that was too big to pull up, I would move the hole over alittle or make it wider. It is so easy to do that it's not a big deal if you need to start over. Once you hit water it will still be necessary to drive a point into the sand. The advantage is that you dont need the expensive driven well pipe.

Old 03-02-05, 05:01 AM
You also can hand-drive a shallow well (25' or less), if you have a high water table.
That's the way that we do it here in northeastern NC (no rocks).
This method is simple.
We start with a small pit about 3' wide and 2' deep, then drive a 3'-5' X 1.25" well point down. The upper threaded end has to be driven using a Schedule 80 heavy-duty steel collar for driving. You can drive it with a T-handle well driver or with a sledge hammer.
When the upper threaded end is just above the bottom of the pit, the driving collar is then replaced with a regular galvanized coupling (teflon taped) and a 1.25" X 5' galvanized pipe joint with the driving collar on its upper end.
We keep driving each joint down and connecting them the same way.
"Three joints and a point" is the norm here for a good well. After this is driven, we screw on a hand pump and pump off the sand, etc. until the well water runs clear. Then we hook it up to a shallow well pump.
Voila! It will last for years.
Mike

Old 03-02-05, 11:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Wow ! - all this primitive but obviously effective technology is an eye opener for me. I've only ever seen it done by a clam-shell digger or a truck driven drill. Thanks to all you guys for sharing these items of real DIY

Do it Right - Do it once.