Jet Pump Probs

Old 03-15-05, 10:55 AM
heathers25
Visiting Guest
Jet Pump Probs

I have a 70 foot well with a GE jet pump. The toilet was left running for at least one day if not two, and I imagine the pump ran for much of that time. I have tried to prime the pump by pouring water into the pump, but I can hear it run back into the well down the two pipes and cannot hear or see a leak above where the pipes submerge. I spent about 2 hours pouring water down the pump/pipes, but could not get the pump to prime. I wonder if I have a stuck foot valve, or a leak in the pipes somewhere. Is there a way to determine this without pulling the pipes? Why would the toilet running cause this problem? Could it be something else? Thanks

Old 03-16-05, 07:32 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the pump ran that long it may be possible that it pumped the well down too far and lost prime. Be sure to fill both pipes completely up, as well as the pump head, before you run it. If the water level got too low it may be that something got stuck in the footvalve.
Also, it's possible that if it ran dry, it could have damaged the internals (impeller, guide vane), especially if they are made of plastic.
You can shut the discharge valve and fashion an air valve to fit into the pump head. Take a air compressor and pressure up the pump and piping to about 30 psi, or so. If it holds, then you know the footvalve is good. If not, the piping will need to come up and the footvalve cleaned or replaced.
Ron

Old 03-27-05, 07:17 AM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
Pumping water that far with a jet pump is really going above and beyond what a jet pump is designed for. If you find that an expensive repair is needed, consider changing to a submersible pump.

W.A. McCormick
Lindale, TX

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: