What is quietest sump pump?

Old 03-31-05, 04:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is quietest sump pump?

Hi - newbie here in this forum

Might install a new sump pump this year and noise is an important factor for me. Would like to get some input on what make/model is the quietest. I currently have a Little Giant, and most of the retail stores around here sell Flotec. One of the stores had a Flotec demo and I thought it sounded pretty noisy. But then it was on a display endcap and not in a hole in the ground!

Thanks for you advice.

Old 04-01-05, 08:03 AM
M
Do you like the Little Giant pump you have now? You can always replace it with a similar model, but you'd have to find a retailer. The rule of thumb is: the heavier, the better. An all cast iron model will not vibrate like a plastic Flotec, giving you a quieter operation.

Old 04-01-05, 10:24 AM
C
The Little Giant works fine, but I'd like something quieter, if available. I'm wondering if maybe I should get a smaller pump than what I have now. This one empties the pit in about 10 seconds. It doesn't really need to pump that fast. A smaller one would make less noise, right? But good point about the construction.

Old 04-01-05, 10:52 AM
M
Originally Posted by skycat
A smaller one would make less noise, right?

Not necessarily. Another thing that creates noise is high rpm motors, which is what they sometimes put in small pumps to get more HP out of them. I would not get anything that spins very high. Better to get a higher amp, torquey motor in a cast iron body.

Old 04-02-05, 09:47 AM
C
Originally Posted by markiz37
Better to get a higher amp, torquey motor in a cast iron body.
Thanks. You sound quite knowledgeable. Can you please give an example of such? My current pump is a submersible w/pressure switch, 9.0 A, 1/3 HP, 29 GPM. (I don't care if it's float or pressure switched) Thanks....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: