Diaphragm or Vertical Float Switch..That is the Question

Old 04-06-05, 07:57 PM
ALLWetNJ
Visiting Guest
Smile Diaphragm or Vertical Float Switch..That is the Question

I have had a Liberty 257 pump for about 10 years It's worked fine, but failed in the last bout of heavy rains. It seems the vertical float switch was the culprit, as I was able to jiggle it and get the pump running. It took the better part of the day to pump out the basement, and then because of the high water levels it kept running for the next day as well. As things dried out, the water finally stopped flowing, but this time the pump didn't turn off. Clearly the vertical float switch was the problem. I'm not going to replace a switch on a 10 year old pump..so, I need a new pump and am wondering if I should get another one with the vertical float switch, or a diaphragm swtich? Are the diaphragms less likely to get stuck or fail? Also, any recommendations on a brand..there's so many..Wayne, Liberty, Flotec, Zoeller, etcc etc.. I'd really appreciate any advice. Also wondering about alarms and back-ups, worth it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 05:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question, can you tell if the switch failed because the float did not rise high enough to trigger the switch OR did the float rise to the top to trigger the switch but perhaps the contacts failed after 10 years? IMHO, if the pump functioned well for 10 years, it did its job.

In my case I get a fair amount of scale and mineral deposits which has caused my primary to fail. It prevented the float from reaching maximum height and so it did not activate the switch. I have heard mixed opinions about diapraghm switches...sometimes they may fail if they are allowed to get gummed-up as well. I still prefer mechanical switches because I can periodically clean them and replace them (inexpensive as well).

Some switches are rated for X amount of uses. A rep from Zoeller once told me that their switches on the M53's (non-piggyback) were rated for 100,000 cycles. In terms of a good brand, I personally like Hydromatic and Zoeller pumps. Get a cast iron model.

Old 04-07-05, 10:18 AM
ALLWetNJ
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply

Carmel Corn, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I agree, the pump did it's job for 10 years. I'm not sure why the switch didn't kick in. I've never really been into it to clean it off or anything, so maybe there is some scale build up on it. I appreciate your time.