old well problems

Old 04-11-05, 08:32 PM
snapfish
Visiting Guest
old well problems

have a 2" well from about 1960 in a cabin. The old G.E. pump gave out this wknd by leaking around intake pipe connects to pump. It always sounded as though it were grinding stones when it ran, so suspect bearings nearly shot too. Thought I would run out and buy a new one at Lowes Depot this week bring up and switch it out. Now I read that I need to put new "ejectors" in if I change the pump. I have no idea how deep well is, pump/well has just 1 -2" galvanized pipe connected to it, all attached to old galv hold tank. So...
1) Am I right in assuming this pump is a shallow well jet pump
2) Do I need to change ejectors, and of course how do I do that ?
Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-05, 09:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there is only one line from the well to the inlet of the pump, then you have a shallow well pump.
Shallow well jet pumps have a built-in ejector, so there's nothing to change out.
It sounds like the suction line may have been leaking for awhile, allowing the pump to suck in air. When this happens, the pump sounds like it's pumping gravel. That sound is actually air bubbles imploding, which causes lots of damage inside the pump. I would venture to say that there is extensive damage to the impeller of that pump.
In any case, you'll need to check the footvalve (on the end of the suction line in the well) before you install a new pump.
Ron