Septic system and Garbage Disposal

Old 04-27-05, 03:40 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Septic system and Garbage Disposal

I recently moved to a 7 year old house with a septic system. We are remodeling the kitchen and wondering about installing a garbage disposal. There is none now. I have heard that they are not recommended with septic systems but I see in the stores that they say they are septic system safe. What is best? We are required by law to have the septic tank pumped and inspected every 3 years so it will be maintained.

Also if we do install a disposal, I see that Insinkerator has a model for septic systems that adds a bit of some bio-digester liquid every time the disposal is run. Would that be worth the price and is it really better?

Thanks,
Oliver

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 07:19 AM
H
You can have a garbage disposal with a septic tank although it can be a hassle and is not generally recommended. When I considered getting a garbage disposal I was told to empty the septic tank every year. And there are still certain things (such as coffee grinds) that you should not put in your disposal because even if they are ground up they can affect your tank. I believe the liquid additives help but you still never know.

Old 05-04-05, 12:19 PM
C
Make sure you check with your local gov't (county or city) about whether they allow them on septic. The big orange store sells them here locally, yet it is against code in my county to have one on a septic system, even the "septic safe" ones. From my understanding, the biggest problem is that the small particulate grindings don't sink to the bottom of the tank and collect as readily, and therefore tend to flow out with the liquid effluent and end up in the leach field, eventually clogging things up.

Old 05-05-05, 06:48 AM
O
Thanks for the info, I decided to play it safe and not install one. I sure don't want to screw up the leach field.