shallow well pump troubleshooting

Old 05-03-05, 09:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shallow well pump troubleshooting

I'm not very experienced with pumps so I'm seeking advice regarding the one that I'm currently trying to install / fix.

My gf and I installed a 3/4 hp craftsman shallow well pump. The pump was bought second hand (supposedly never used) and the manual is missing. We aren't too sure that everything is set right. Basically there are two problems.

1. The pump runs but doesn't build enough pressure (only holds 20 psi when it should hold at 40 psi). There are no visible leaks. If we utilize the house water the pressure drops to 0 psi and the pump tries to build pressure. It overheats and the overload trips. The psi never gets above 24.

2. The water was running clear and then it was rusty and now is running clear again. It seems to fluctuate between clear and rusty.

Old 05-04-05, 06:50 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
Does it continue running at 20 psi or does it shut off?
Does the pressure drop to zero before the pump restarts or is still running when it drops to zero?
What is the pressure in you tank when the water pressure is at zero and the pump is turned off. There should be a tire valve on top of the tank where you can test the pressure.

Old 05-04-05, 04:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The pump is not running when the pressure drops to 0 psi. It overheats when it reaches about 20 - 24 psi and shuts off.

We discovered today that the tank is holding little to no water, but there are no visible leaks. I'm thinking there is a blockage somewhere?? I'll investigate further.

Old 05-04-05, 06:15 PM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
If the pump is not running and you are not using any water then I would guess that you have a leak in your supply line. This could be the cause of the lack of pressure as it is sucking air and the cause of the pressure drop as the water leaks back out when the pump stops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: