Rotten egg smell

Old 05-06-05, 09:17 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Rotten egg smell

Hello,

Every few days, we get a rotten egg smell in our finished basement (hot water baseboard heating, if it matters).

At first, we thought it might be coming from a couple of drains down there that may have had the water in the trap evaporate. But we put water in them every other day and we still get the periodic smell. I haven't seen anything in common yet with when the smell comes on.

Are there common causes of this I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-05, 05:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
One source of a rotten egg smell is sewer gas. Do you know anything about the pluming in your house? Do you have any bathrooms or wet bar in the basement? Do you have a septic system or are you on city water/sewer? Has the smell started recently and have you done any construction or remodeling?

What could be wrong: You could have a clogged vent line. You could have a broken or cracked drain line (sewage). I have seen problems with basement bathrooms that have to pump the $hit uphill to the houses drain lines (they can leak sewer gas if not installed and vented properly). I have also seen sewage leak from septic tanks and drain fields back into a basement.

Other things that can smell bad: rotten eggs, dead animal...mold & mildew... fish & chips with vineagar...

Old 05-11-05, 08:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
One source of a rotten egg smell is sewer gas. Do you know anything about the pluming in your house? Do you have any bathrooms or wet bar in the basement? Do you have a septic system or are you on city water/sewer? Has the smell started recently and have you done any construction or remodeling?
We have a septic system. The smell comes and goes, we haven't done any construction.

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
What could be wrong: You could have a clogged vent line. You could have a broken or cracked drain line (sewage). I have seen problems with basement bathrooms that have to pump the $hit uphill to the houses drain lines (they can leak sewer gas if not installed and vented properly). I have also seen sewage leak from septic tanks and drain fields back into a basement.

Other things that can smell bad: rotten eggs, dead animal...mold & mildew... fish & chips with vineagar...
Thanks!