Adding well tank to city water system

Old 05-15-05, 08:50 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding well tank to city water system

I live in central Florida and hurricane season is once again approaching. I would like to look into the possibility of adding a well tank or two to my city water system as a back up should the water supply become unusable for some reason. The idea is I can shut off the street valve and go on the tank.

Now I know I would be very limeted on the ammount of water, and already on my hurrican checklist (yes I have a check list, as I am a Florida native) I have a step of filling my bathtubs with water to flush the toilets and use the sinks.

Again this idea is strictly a back up. Is this possible and what do I need to do?

Old 05-15-05, 10:29 PM
W
Modern well tanks (bladder tanks) are designed with a single connection on the bottom for water to go in and out. In a well system, the pump fills and pressurizes the tank to a pre-set limit then cuts off,then the tank supplies your water until almost empty the the pump comes on and the process repeats. In the set-up that you want to do, the city pressure will be constant (or nearly) so the tank will stay filled, however, when you use water, the tank will not empty out as long as the city pressure is on. The same water will just be sitting in the bladder all the time. This is the only real drawback with the plan, otherwise it will work. Be sure there is a check valve on the incoming line before the tank. Also, the well tank(s) will have to be large (look for the draw-down rating at your psi) for this set-up to be worthwhile. Post back if any other ?'s
Waterdoc

Old 05-16-05, 09:45 AM
T
Well this does bring up one concern - If the water stays in tank, what about bacteria growth? Would this be an issue?

Old 05-16-05, 08:54 PM
W
I've not run into that but I suppose it's possible.
Waterdoc

Old 05-16-05, 09:32 PM
T
Originally Posted by waterdoc
The same water will just be sitting in the bladder all the time. This is the only real drawback with the plan, otherwise it will work.
Well I guess my question then is why is it a drawback to have the same water sitting in the tank all the time. If the water sits for say 1 year and never moves then so be it. As long as the water is useable should I need to chut off my street connection. So that it my ultimate question - do I need to be concerned if the same water sits in the tank for an extended period of time?

Old 05-17-05, 03:34 AM
h2oguyofnh
Visiting Guest
Well tank, city water

This is not a solution for what I believe that you are try to accomplish: a reserve of good water for when the city water is not good. By the time you realize there is a problem with your city water, then your tank is probably dirty too. If you have the space, a 150 gallon holding tank a repressurization pump may be a solution. Just keep the lizards and cockroaches out!

ck, just got back from Florida last night

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: