Cleanout before septic tank clogged with toilet paper, AGAIN

Old 06-22-05, 10:21 AM
bjp71
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Cleanout before septic tank clogged with toilet paper, AGAIN

About two months ago my septic system became backed up and began overflowing into the house. Turns out that the cleanout was clogged with what I assumed was toilet paper (that had solidified rather than break down). After wrestling with it using a plumbers tape for a while I eventually just used my hand and a small screwdriver to chip and remove chunks of the white crap (yuck). I stopped flushing toilet paper and I'm sure the amount of it flushed has easily been reduced by at least 75% (since I instructed my roomate and girlfriend to refrain from flushing it as well). Now, the exact same thing is happening and I can't reach the end of the clog (now I have to rent an auger ) Is that solid white stuff actually toilet paper? And what could account for such a fast rebuildup of the stuff given that it is rarely being flushed. Also, I'm a cheap ******* and buy the 1-2 ply regular stuff which I thought was supposed to be easy on the septic system.

Old 06-22-05, 06:39 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The build-up could be laundry detergent. This happens more with the cheap stuff it seems.
Waterdoc

Old 06-22-05, 07:29 PM
isaacvs
Visiting Guest
The likelihood that your roomate and girlfriend actually took your "don't flush paper" advice is pretty low. If it were me, I'd have nodded, called you some sort of name under my breath, and continued to flush paper. No offense, I'm just saying...

waterdoc is probably right. I'd guess it's laundry detergent. Toilet paper is made to break apart.

Old 06-22-05, 08:36 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There may be issues other than mineral deposits. If you have old ceramic drain tile that has decayed? Tree and ivy roots can permeate drains. Toilet paper and disposal sanitary products take time. These tend to catch on obstructions and cause clogs. If you have sewer and drain fields, heavy rains can raise water table and stop the flow of your drain fields. You can also have a spring that's dumping excess water into septic well. You really need to call a professional who is experieced to deal with this problems. These issues tend to not be DIY.

Old 06-23-05, 07:32 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Has the tank been pumped recently? Could be full of solids and backing up into the line.

Old 06-23-05, 04:50 PM
andy1
Visiting Guest
Cleanout before septic tank clogged with toilet paper, AGAIN

Feminine napkins are a definite "no no" in a septic system. Personally, I believe they have no business being put through any sewage system.

Grease from cooked items like bacon, etc. can solidify in the sewage piping. At any rate, have a pro check it out. The $ 100 bucks spent now might save you $500 bucks later.

andy1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: