Spitting faucets

Old 07-27-05, 09:41 AM
Jackk
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Spitting faucets

I have a sandpoint shallow well with an older centrifugal pump and a pressure tank that is only 2 years old. The pump primes ok and cycles ok and the tank is set at 30/50. The tank and water system hold pressure well and there do not appear to be water leaks. The problem is we have major spitting of air from hot and cold faucets if the water runs for more than a few seconds. I have listened to the inlet PVC pipe from the well and the pump and I do not hear cavitation. It seems to me that with that amount of air coming in, the pump would lose its prime and the motor would burn out and the pump seems to be developing pressure ok. Is there any way of determining whether air is coming in via the pressure regulator valve or getting into the tank itself?
Jackk

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-05, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you mean a jet pump? Centrifugals are not pressure switch friendly.

If the pump is running and causing air, it has to be an air leak in the suction line or the well itself.

Do you have a check valve at the pump or out at the well?

Does the well have droppipe or are you connected to the well directly?

bob...

Old 07-28-05, 05:47 AM
Jackk
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Its a centrifugal pump

Yes its an older centrifugal pump with a Well-Rite WR-4501 Pressure tank. With the pump off it reads 28 lb. I had thought that if air was coming in from the suction line to the pump it would lose its prime. That had not happened until yesterday. My wife realized the pump was running for a long time and not developing pressure so she turned it off and reprimed it and now its running again but the faucets are still spitting. The suction line is PVC connected directly to the pipe that goes down to the sandpoint. The connection is about 30 feet horizontal to the well pipe. There is no check valve.
We bought the cottage last year and the previous owner installed the pressure tank and switch into the system with the centrifugal pump. The sandpoint has been there for a long time. The previous owner said he used to shove a 25 foot copper tube down into the sandpoint and then backflush it with a water pump. He left the tube for me and I have a 1/4 horse submersible electric pump I can put into the lake and hook it up to a hose and then to the tube. However, I am not certain how to get the fitting off the pipe that goes down to the sandpoint. The fitting connects the PVC to the sandpoint pipe. A neighbor suggested I put in a Jet pump with a check valve. I am uncertain whether either of these modifications will help.

Thank you so much for replying. I appreciate any advice you can give me.
Jackk

Old 07-28-05, 06:17 AM
Hi Jack,

Listen to your neighbor. Get rid of the centrifugal, install a jet (I sell them) and you have to have a check valve. Preferably at or in the wlll. I assume this well is 1-1/4" so the valve can't go in the well.

It sounds like you have an air leak.

The tube in the screen thing, forget about that. It won't help. All it will do is fill your well up with bacteria. If the screen is plugged, which it probably is being it's that old. You can pull it and change it or try to locate some Nu-Well tablets and clean it.

bob...

Old 07-28-05, 07:00 AM
Jackk
Visiting Guest
air leak

Thanks Bob,
I will put in a jet pump and a check valve and look for some Nu-Well tablets. Do you have any ideas on where the air leak could be? If I replace the screen or clean it, would that stop the air leak?

Thanks again,

Jackk

Old 07-28-05, 07:11 AM
No, probably not. With driven wells, the couplings could be loose from being beat on. That would be one air leak. If you do pull the well and change the screen, be sure to keep turning the pipe as you knock it back down. Also try to knock the screen down a little deeper to put it in a fresh bed of sand, if the vein is that deep. With the Nu-Well tablets you have to be able to pour water down the well do dissolve the tablets. If the screen is completely clogged up, this won't work.

bob...

Old 07-29-05, 05:33 AM
Jackk
Visiting Guest
Angry air leak

Hi Bob,
I located the NuWell tablets at Bergholtz in Holland Mich but they only wholesale to well drillers. So I guess I have to try to find a well driller in our area that has them. I probably will end up pulling the screen up anyway and cleaning it or changing it. Someone suggested hooking up a hose to an air compressor and blasting out the cavity but if the screen is corroded with deposits I don't see how that would help.

Do you have any ideas as to how to locate the air leak?
Its clearly on the suction side of the pump, either in the PVC line from the well or from the well or the well fitting.

Thanks,

Jackk

Old 07-29-05, 06:11 AM
The air hose thing won't do a bit of good.

The leak could be anywhere from the front of the pump all the way to the pipe down the well. If; after you put the well back in with the new screen and you have tightened all the couplings while using a good teflon pipe dope, the leak is still there. Replace the suction line. Because you'll never find it.

bob...

Old 07-29-05, 07:03 AM
Jackk
Visiting Guest
Wink Source for NuWell tablets

Hi Bob,

I found that Global Drilling Suppliers in Cincinnati sells NuWell tablets retail and ships. I will try the tablets before pulling the point. Thanks so much for your help.

See message copied below (I know you prohibit advertizing but this is very helpful):

We stock NU-well 110 granulated dry acid in 50 lb containers. It costs
$ 127.50 fob Cincinnati.
It can be sent by UPS.
Usually we only sell this for 8" and larger wells. Have you checked the
dosage? I am attaching some info on Nu well 100 and 110.
Nu well 100 is sold in 9 lb jars for $39.50 each. It is in pellet form
and is used for 6" and smaller wells.

We take credit cards, except Discover, and have the material in stock.
Thanks for the inquiry and if I can help, please call.

Note: This material is like drain cleaner so take precautions such as
wearing gloves and goggles. Also it is a good idea to have a container
of fresh water nearby when working with the cleaner. With the water
handy you can quickly wash off any cleaner that splashes on you.

Donald C. Ault
Global Drilling Suppliers, Inc.
12101 Centron PL.
Cincinnati, OH 45246

800-356-6400
513-671-8700 fax

Last edited by Jackk; 07-29-05 at 07:05 AM. Reason: concern about no advertizing policy
Old 07-29-05, 07:14 AM
That's helpful Jackk,

I had a rough time finding anyone that carried it. However you won't need that much. A handful should be enough for a 1-1/4" well.

bob...

Old 08-01-05, 04:43 AM
JackK:

How'd you make out?

I have the same issue at my seasonal camp and these Nu-Well tablets may be the answer...

Old 08-01-05, 06:56 AM
Jackk
Visiting Guest
I will let you know

Got the tablets. I will let you know in a couple weeks when I return from the cottage in Canada.