Pumps and Pressure Tanks

Old 08-13-05, 07:24 PM
DIYwannabe737
Visiting Guest
Pumps and Pressure Tanks

One of my two pressure tanks (blue, 15 yr old) sprung a leak so I just removed it. However, someone told me that since my pump is a 40gpm Grundfos 5HP, having just one tank is a bad idea. They thought it might start recycling too much from household use. True?

Last edited by DIYwannabe737; 08-13-05 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding a comma
Old 08-14-05, 06:49 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I will cycle on/off more often. I can't tell fro here if it will be too often.

Old 08-15-05, 07:24 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The idea behind having the right size pressure tank is to allow the pump to have a long enough run time to allow the motor windings time to cool off after starting. (Motor life is measured in number of starts). Most manufacturers recommend that the tank be sized to allow 1-2 minutes of pump run time.
Sta-rite Pump Co. for example, recommends that the tank have one gallon of drawdown for each gallon of pump capacity. I frequently install jet pumps that have a flow capacity of 15-18 gpm. I will then use an 86 gallon equivalent tank that will deliver 26 gallons of drawdown. This means that the pump will generally run about 1.5 minutes to replenish the tank.
I don't know how big your other tank is, but you could open a faucet and let it drain until the pump starts. Then, shut the water off and see how long it takes the pump to refill the tank. If it's less than a minute, you might want to consider installing another tank.
Ron

Old 08-15-05, 07:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And tanks are a lot cheaper than 5 hp pumps and motors. Not to mention the labor to replace.

bob...

Old 08-15-05, 01:00 PM
DIYwannabe737
Visiting Guest
Then my next question would be what 86 gal pressure tank should I consider. I saw an 86 gal WellMate for sale on a website for $368, but I heard that the fiberglass tank won't hold up in the desert.

Old 08-16-05, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by DIYwannabe737
Then my next question would be what 86 gal pressure tank should I consider. I saw an 86 gal WellMate for sale on a website for $368, but I heard that the fiberglass tank won't hold up in the desert.
I don't think it would like the heat and sun, or you would like the bladder they use.

Stick with Well-X-Trol or Flex Con. They are the good ones.

bob...

Old 08-17-05, 06:36 PM
DIYwannabe737
Visiting Guest
What about the Red Jacket tank made by Goulds/ITT (et250d)

Last edited by DIYwannabe737; 08-17-05 at 06:37 PM. Reason: add word
Old 08-18-05, 06:12 AM
Red Jacket and Goulds are owned by ITT, but I don't know which tank they sell. I sell Myers pumps and Myers among others are owned by Pentair. But I won't sell their tanks because they don't hold up. This may be true of Red Jacket and Goulds.

bob...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: